Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization
Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) was established to encourage meaningful research by FCCU’s faculty and students to forge linkages between industry, civil society and academia.
The Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) was established in July 2011 to encourage meaningful research by faculty and students to forge linkages between industry, civil society and academia. ORIC’s responsibilities are to:
- Identify research grant opportunities for faculty to apply for funding
- Facilitate faculty to apply for research & travel grants
- Provide legal, administrative and financial management support of research grants
- Support commercialization, licensing, etc. of the university research products
ORIC also holds lectures and seminars with guest speakers to create awareness about various opportunities and themes for research in both social and natural sciences. This initiative increases the quality of undergraduate and graduate teaching at FCCU.
- Grow our research and economic development efforts and output as to improve our industry competitiveness using innovation and becoming the driving force behind research and the economic development of Pakistan
- To promote strategic partnership with industry in global knowledge economy to intensify the partnerships that go beyond the traditional funding of discrete research projects
- To promote entrepreneurship, technology-transfer and commercialization activities that energize and support the local and national economy
ORIC’s vision is to enable and lead Pakistan’s transformation to a knowledge-based economy dependent upon innovation and entrepreneurship. It aims to promote a culture of research at FCCU and to develop strong university-industry linkages in order to encourage and accelerate the process of innovation.
MoUs and Industry Linkages
|University of Essex||United Kingdom|
|Istanbul Aydin University, Turkey||Turkey|
|Altinbas University Turkey||Turkey|
|Polytechnic Institute of Braganca||Portugal|
|EWHA Women University, Korea||Korea|
|Izmir University of Economics, Turkey||Turkey|
|The Council of Independent Colleges||United States of America|
|UASLP. Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí.||Mexico|
|T.C Beykent University||Turkey|
|John Cabot University||Italy|
|Istanbul Kultur University||Turkey|
|University Antonio Nariño University||Madrid, Spain|
|Middlesex University, England||United Kingdom|
|Handong Global University||Korea|
|Infrastrauctur University Kuala Lampur||Kuala Lumpur Malaysia|
|University of Thai Chamber of Commerce||Thailand|
|Yasar University Turkey||Turkey|
|Lingnan University||Hong Kong|
|Izmir Institute of Technology||Turkey|
|University of Regina||Canada|
|Lehigh University||United State of America|
|EPECH Business School||Belgium|
Hult International Business School, UK
The University of Gambia, Gambia
Universite de Lille, France
and Department of Genomics of Common Disease, Imperil College London, UK
University of Bengkulu, Indonesia
University of Sheffield, UK
Allama Iqbal Medical College (AIMC)/Jinnah Hospital
Government College University (GCU)
Hailey College of Banking and Finance, University of Punjab
Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
Pakistan Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (PCSIR)
University of Health Sciences (UHS)
Research Institutes & Organizations
BF Biosciences Ltd
Chughtai Lahore Labs
International Center for Theoretical Physics
Korean Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
Media Training and Research Center (MTRC)
Pioneer Pakistan Seeds Ltd
Waste Busters, Lahore
World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
HydroMech Corporation, Lahore
Government & Semi-Government Organizations
Balouchistan Education Endowment Fund (BEEF)
Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI)
Population Council, Islamabad
Punjab Agricultural Research Board (PARB)
Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP)
Technical and Vocational Training authority (TEVTA)
Women Chamber of Commerce and Industry (WCCI), Lahore.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which organization should I apply to for funding for my Research?
You can apply for funding to the following organizations depending on the nature of your proposal.
- Higher Education Commission (HEC)
- Punjab Higher Education Commissions (PHEC)
- Pakistan Science Foundation
- ICT-R&D Fund
How do I fill my application?
There are clear guidelines giving on most of the applications, however if something is unclear ORIC staff can be of assistance.
What is the procedure to submit a Travel Grant Application?
There is some variation in the procedure of HEC and PHEC.
How can I apply for seminar or conference funding?
Seminar or conference funding can be applied for by filling the respective organization’s form.
Information about Predatory Journals
Respected Faculty and Researchers
For researchers across all disciplines, research dissemination is the intellectual core of scholarly work. Publishing in a high-quality peer-reviews journal remains a prime goal for academics.
Selecting the most appropriate journal based on disciplinary reputation, peer-review quality and selectivity standards is an important first step for scholars when submitting a manuscript for publication.
It is very important that scholars carefully evaluate and select the publications and journals in which they wish to disseminate their work. While many journals are respectable, adding important conversations and discoveries to the scholarly landscape, others are not. Of greatest concern are those that engage in predatory practices, they are called predatory journals.
Predatory journals are those that lack discernible scholarship, academic rigor or credibility. They use aggressive practices to recruit authors and editors. They will at times require authors to pay for editing, printing, marketing and distribution of the finished product, but the authors will not benefit from the same high peer-review and editorial standards.
Predatory practices even extend to conferences and associated conference proceeding. Organizers of such forums use pushy tactics for gathering submissions.
Common characteristics of predatory publishers:
- High manuscript acceptance rates or acceptance grantees
- The publisher send you an un-solicited invitation to submit an article for publication
- Minimal (or non-existent) peer review process
- Little attention paid to digital preservation
- Not necessarily indexed in electronic databases
- Journals may be short lived
- No archiving policy
For further guidance on predatory journals you may contact the library.
Internal Research and Innovation Fund
Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) has allocated Rs. 5 million as a Research Fund to support research related activities at FCC under the auspices of ORIC. These funds are for Innovation and Creative research. This amount is seed money for an ongoing or more extensive research project; a collaborative faculty effort, or an innovation.
Following activities will be supported by the Fund.
- Research Proposals by the faculty for their own or student research highlighting innovation. The Proposal should be submitted on the prescribed format. Maximum limit for each proposal is Rs. 200,000/-
- Partial support for holding of specialized training courses/ workshops.
- Support for holding Invited Lectures by eminent scholars.
All such proposals will be reviewed by the Committee of Deans and approved by VR (Academics)
Mechanism for the Utilization of Research Fund of Rs. 5.0 million
The main objective of this research fund is to encourage research activity on the campus. The entire Faculty of the University is eligible for submitting research proposals. This Research Fund can also support the research of Senior Baccalaureate students and graduate students of MPhil and PhD.
The purpose is to support the research with a seed money which should enable the faculty to submit competitive proposals for external funding at later stage.
IRIF is managed by a Council heading by the Director ORIC that meets quarterly to approve the projects for funding.
Faculty sends its proposals on the IRIF form, click here to download the form
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- 1. Kauser Abdullah MALIK: Process for the Development of Transgenic Wheat for Increased Bioavailability of Iron and Zinc.
- 2. Mariya al-RASHIDA: Process for the Preparation of Quinoline Based Ionic Fluoride Salts (QUFs). Hameed, N. Iqbal, J. Hashim, K. M. Khan, S. T. Moin, S. Ahmad, S. A. Ali, F. Z. Basha, M. al-Rashida, R. D. Alharthy, S. Perveen, US-Patent No. 9643169, Application No. 15.158,867, Patent Date 09/05/2017.
- 3. Saeed Iqbal: Process for Preparing Copper Complex of Cephalexin and Pharmaceutical Compositions thereof. MS Iqbal, The Process for the Preparation of Copper Complex of Cephalexin and Pharmaceutical Composition Thereof, Pat. No. 136974, (1999). Chemical complex of cephalexin with copper, and pharmaceutical compositions thereof are described. This complex finds use as antibiotic with anti-inflammatory activity.
- 4. Saeed Iqbal: Process for Preparing Zinc Complex of Cephalexin and Pharmaceutical Compositions thereof. MS Iqbal, The Process for the Preparation of Zinc Complex of Cephalexin and Pharmaceutical Composition Thereof, Pat. No. 136973, (1999).
- 5. Saeed Iqbal: Solvent free synthesis of acetaminophen. M Amin, MS Iqbal, Solvent free synthesis of acetaminophen, US 9,006,488 B1, Apr. 14, 2015.
- 6. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Development of nanofiltration system with La/SnO2-TiO2nanoparticles, US patent filing application No. 15/131,814, Patent. No. US 10,258,977 B2, Pub. Date of patent issued: 16 April 2019.
- 7. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Muhammad Rehan Gul, and Muhammad Khaleeq-ur-Rahman, Ciprofloxacin loaded diethylaminoethyl cellulose nanoparticles, US patent filing application No. 14/516,824, Patent. No. US 9,555,009 B2, Date of patent issued: 31 January 2017.
- 8. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Adarsh Shams, and Muhammad Khaleeq-ur-Rahman, Drug entrapment efficiency and sustained drug release of Chloramphenicol loaded polymeric-iron nanoparticles, US patent filing application No. 14/514,055, Patent. No. US 9,393,313 B2, Date of patent issued: 19 July 2016.
- 9. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, ZnO-SiO2nanopowder for the development of latent fingerprints, US patent filing application No. 13/968,025, Pub. No.: US 2015/0050495 A1, Publication Date: 16 February 2015.
- 10. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukhand Fizza Naseem, Nano-Leucite for Slow Release Nitrogen Fertilizer and Green Environment, US patent filing application No. 13/738,727, Patent No. US 8,911,526 B2, Date of patent issued: 16 December 2014.
- 11. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukhand Rohana Adnan, Zinc oxide nanoflaks for treatment of pollutants, US patent filing application No. 13/609,962, Pub. No.: US 2014/0069819 A1, Publication Date: 13 March 2014.
- 12. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Analytical Grade Salt, US patent filing application No. 13/216,232, Patent No. US 8,273,321 B1, Date of patent issued: 25 September 2012.