Excellence Through Learning
The connection between FCCU and the teaching of English has a very long history. FCCU evolved from the Mission School, which was established in 1849 as the first English-medium school in Lahore. In 1864 a College section was started, which was later renamed Forman Christian College after its founder. By 1901, FCCU had started English MA classes. The English Department has benefitted from the teaching of great scholars such as Dr HC Velte, Dr FM Velte, Rev HD Griswold, Dr EJ Sinclair and Dr SL Sheets. The graduates of the English Department have distinguished themselves as writers, poets, civil servants, judges, lawyers, diplomats, politicians, and entrepreneurs.