The main objective of the degree is to train students intellectually and professionally to work in a variety of capacities in their future life providing informed and skilled human resource for national and international needs. It offers a wide range of courses in analytical, inorganic, organic, physical, applied, biochemistry, and other interdisciplinary areas. The teaching / research equipments available in the department include GC-MS, HPLC, CHNSO Analyser, Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, Flame Emission spectrophotometer, TGA-DSC, FT-IR spectrometer, Cyclic Voltammetry, 60 MHz Benchtop NMR (1H, 13C, DEPT, COSY), Magnetic Susceptibility Balance, Digital Polarimeter, Freeze Drier, Plate Reader and others.
The program prepares the students to demonstrate the ability to understand, analyze and address the real world problems, from academia to industry, using Chemistry; and provides them with plenty of opportunities to excel both in the diverse job market, and in future learning.
A graduate in Chemistry from FCCU is expected to have, at the time of his/her graduation, the ability to:
- Explain major concepts of chemistry
- Think critically and be able to apply chemistry concepts to the real world
- Describe the range of career possibilities with training in chemistry
- Use library resources and technology efficiently to gather information and solve problems
- Apply ethical principles in the domain of chemistry
Eligibility criteria For BS (Hons):
- Students who have passed their Intermediate
- A- Level students who have cleared at least 3 principal A-Level exams (not AS Level) Equivalence attested from the IBCC Needed .
- A- Level students who have given their A levels exams in October, November and are awaiting results are eligible to apply, they need to attach a copy of the statement of entry.
- Students who have done their American High School. Equivalence needed attested from the IBCC .
- Students who have done their Intermediate from the Technical Board
- Students applying for BS (Hons) Biotechnology must have done FSc Pre-Medical or should have studied Biology and Chemistry in A-Level.