The Department of Economics at Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) has been offering the undergraduate program since 1915. The Department has evolved over time, adding resources, introducing new and wider range of courses, upgrading curricula and adding new scholars to bring it up to par with contemporary needs. Located in, purpose built Business and Social Sciences building, it has facilities like well-equipped classrooms, seminar rooms, lecture halls, computer labs and interactive smart classrooms.
The department operates with a mission to provide quality education in the field of Economics by exposing its students to the depth of theoretical knowledge as well as the breadth of its practical applications. A highly qualified and supportive faculty; thoroughly engaging and empowering environment; effectively well placed learning and research infrastructure; and enthusiastically designed and delivered academic commitment, makes this department immensely appealing and attractive, both for its undergraduate and graduate programs.
This program was launched in 2009 with an objective of providing a high quality research based education in line with market demand by preparing its students with sound academic foundations and an attitude of lifelong learning.
This two year program is offered to students who have completed their 16 years of education in the field of Economics. The program consists of a two semester course work (27 credit hours) followed by a research thesis (12 credit hours) being supervised by a PhD faculty member. The graduates of the MPhil program have been well received in the market.
Merit-based financial awards including a Merit Scholarship (75% tuition fee waiver) and limited Teaching Assistantships (50% tuition fee waiver) are available.
- A 4-year BS (Hons) degree from an HEC recognized University in the discipline of Economics with a minimum of 2.5 CGPA. 48 credit hours in Economics and a total of 130 credit hours in the entire degree program are required
- A Conventional MSc in Economics with a minimum of 60% marks
- Two Reference Letters (at least one must be from a previous Teacher) are required
NOTE: Acceptance is based upon the 1) departmental test, 2) interview and 3) an overall evaluation of the candidate, including: academic achievement, statement of purpose and English language proficiency.
Provisional admission can be sought by students awaiting final results. Their admission will only be confirmed once they have submitted their complete official Transcript within the due dates.
- One of the oldest departments of Economics in the country (Established in 1915)
- One of the highest number of PhD faculty members in a department of Economics in the country (13 PhDs)
- Regularly reviewed and updated course curriculum to keep the learning experience at par with development in the field of Economics
- A peer reviewed, Y-Category HEC recognized annual research Journal titled “Forman Journal of Economic Studies” (Volume 13, Published in 2017)
- Annual National Research Conference held to expose students to issues of contemporary significance in the field of Economics
- Computer Research Laboratory with latest and licensed Software versions of Eviews, Stata, SPSS – Multimedia installed in the lab to train students with hands-on exposure
- Regular Lectures and Seminars, inviting experts and policy makers to speak about issues pertaining to the areas of their expertise
- Ewing Memorial Library offering Books, Journals, periodicals, electronic databases, HEC digital library and E-Books
- Open-door policy by faculty members, ensuring an environment of optimal student-teacher interaction for academic support
- Rigorous research standards to ensure quality research and capable researchers
- A good reception of MPhil graduates in Public and Private sector enterprises in the fields of Academia, Banking, Research, Public Policy and Non-Government Organizations
PhD (Development Economics) University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
MA (Economics), University of the Punjab, Lahore
MSc (Computer Science), University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
Room # 006, Business and Social Sciences Building
Postdoc (London School of Economics and Political Science, UK) in Climate Change and Indus River System Floods
PhD (University of the Punjab, Lahore) Economic Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture Sector
MPhil (GCU, Lahore) A Comparative Study of Power Generation Technologies in Pakistan
Room # 226, Business and Social Sciences Building
PhD (NCBA&E, Lahore)
MPhil Economics (Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad)
Room # 217, Business and Social Sciences Building
PhD Economics (University Lumiere Lyon II, France)
MS Economics (University Lumiere Lyon II, France)
Room # 007, Business and Social Sciences Building
PhD Scholar (International Islamic University, Islamabad)
MPhil( Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad)
MSc (LUMS, Lahore)
MSc (Gold Medalist) (International Islamic University, Islamabad)
Room # 218, Business and Social Sciences Building
PhD (UCP Lahore)
MPhil (UCP, Lahore)
MA (GCU, Lahore)
Room # 219, Business and Social Sciences Building
PhD (University of Manchester, UK)
Room # 206, Business and Social Sciences Building
Guardian Hope Tower
MPhil (GCU, Faisalabad)
MA (University of Agriculture, Faisalabad)
PhD Scholar (GCU Faisalabad)
Room # 225, Business and Social Sciences Building
|MPhil Applied Economics|
|Program||2019FA||2020SP||Total Fee Year Excluding tax|
|Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Fall Admissions||Security for Fall Admissions||Total||Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Spring Admissions||Security for Spring Admissions||Total|
|MPhil Applied Economics||126,500||17,000||15,000||158,500||126,500||17,000||15,000||158,500||285,000|
- Merit Scholarship (75% tuition fee waiver) available
- Limited Teaching Assistantships (50% tuition fee waiver) available
- PEEF Scholarships available for eligible students