The department offers PhD in Applied Economics after successfully running the program of MPhil in Applied Economics for twelve years. The department has a resolve to provide a high quality learning and research experience in the PhD program, capable to turn passion in to performance by transforming raw talent in to reliable human resource. The program intends to produce PhD scholars who are focussed to fathom, poised to perform and competent to contribute in the field of Economics. The graduates of the program will be given a global orientation about contemporary trends in the field of Economics as well as a local motivation to search for the solutions to some of the most challenging problems confronting Pakistan’s economy.
Duration of the Program:
The PhD degree shall be awarded for a minimum duration of three years and maximum of eight years (for normal circumstances). However, if a student is unable to complete the degree within eight years, the Board of Advanced Studies and Research (BASR) will determine whether the delay was caused by circumstances beyond the student’s control, and if so, it may grant an extension for a maximum of two years in lieu of the exceptional circumstances. Thus there is a maximum of ten years’ duration to complete the degree. The duration of the degree starts with the students’ enrolment and it ends on the date of notification of the award of the PhD degree, subsequent to the PhD defense.
PhD program shall include a residence requirement for PhD students of at least two years.
Students enrolling from the BS stream shall have to do 48 credit hours of coursework whereas entrants from MS/MPhil/PhD can avail credits up to 24 credit hours for coursework done during their MS/MPhil studies. At the time of admission, a PhD student may apply to transfer the credit hours of MS/MPhil/PhD courses after proper permission by the PhD Committee of the department of Economics. The credit transfers will only be allowed from an HEC recognized University as per HEC criteria.
Deficiency courses will be offered to students if their previous exposure will be considered insufficient. The need for deficiency courses will be determined by the PhD committee of the department of Economics. Fee will be charged for the deficiency courses.
Following the completion of PhD coursework, every PhD student shall be required to pass a comprehensive examination, before formally starting the stage of research work. If a student fails to pass the comprehensive test, he or she shall be allowed one more attempt to take the comprehensive test. The comprehensive exam shall be based on the higher level courses of PhD program.
The research component of the PhD program is of 12 credit hours. Within six months of successfully completing the coursework (with a minimum GPA of 2.75) and passing the comprehensive exam (in no more than two attempts), each student is required to get the synopsis of research approved in order to register for the research work. The student should continue registering for research in every semester until the PhD degree is awarded.
Allocation of Supervisor:
Each student will be assigned to an HEC approved supervisor (from the department) and a co-supervisor (if essential to the research of the PhD student, on recommendation of the supervisor, duly approved by the PhD committee and BASR) from within the Department/University or from another University/ Research Organization. The supervisor will provide Semester-wise Report of the student to the PhD committee. In case of two consecutive adverse Reports by the Supervisor, BASR will recommend the cancellation of the candidacy of the student. In certain exceptional circumstances, a change of supervisor may be allowed on the concurrence of the current and proposed supervisor and approval of PhD committee and BASR.
A PhD student will present a PhD synopsis before the Departmental PhD Committee within six months of successfully completing the course work. The synopsis defense will be carried out in the form of a Departmental Seminar. The synopsis is expected to establish novelty of investigation, significance of objectives and a validity of methodology to seek those objectives. After approval from the departmental Board of Studies, the synopsis will be sent to BASR for the final approval. The approval of PhD synopsis by the BASR is mandatory before registering for the research work as a PhD candidate.
Before the submission of the dissertation, the student shall present his research work in anther departmental Seminar. Thereafter, the dissertation will be sent to the expert external reviewers after conducting a plagiarism test (in accordance with the HEC’s Plagiarism Policy). An open defense of the dissertation will be held after positive evaluation of the dissertation by the PhD committee and two external expert reviewers of high academic esteem. However, if the PhD candidate publishes his or her dissertation research (as first author) in a peer reviewed journal that is classified by the HEC as category X or above, the PhD dissertation will only require the evaluation by one external expert. It is mandatory for a PhD candidate to have at least one research paper (as its first author) published (during his or her doctoral studies) in an HEC approved Y category (or above) journal for the award of PhD degree.
- Minimum CGPA 3.0 (out of 4.0) in the semester system or first division in the annual system in MPhil/MS/equivalent in Economics.
- Passing a subject test conducted by the National Testing Service (NTS) or ETS (USA) in a specialized area chosen at the PhD level.
- In the case of the GAT subject test, a minimum of 60% marks are required.
- In the case of the GRE subject test, a minimum of 60% score is required.
- Passing an interview conducted by the PhD admissions committee.
The candidate will submit a research statement along with the admission application.
NOTE: Acceptance is based upon the 1) GAT/GRE Score2) Interview and 3) An overall evaluation of the candidate, including: academic achievement, statement of purpose and English language proficiency.
Provisional admission can be sought by students awaiting final results. Their admission will only be confirmed once they have submitted their complete official transcript within the due dates.
Postgraduate Admissions Timeline (Fall 2023) – Round 2
||July 01, 2023
||Last Date for Submission of Form
||August 25, 2023
||Date: August 29, 2023
||Date: September 01, 2023
||September 05, 2023
||Last Date for Fee Submission
||September 08, 2023
||September 11, 2023
Postgraduate Admissions Timeline (Fall 2023) – Round 1
||July 01, 2023
||Last Date for Submission of Form
||August 04, 2023
||Date: August 08, 2023
||Date: August 11, 2023
||August 15, 2023
||Last Date for Fee Submission
||August 22, 2023
||September 11, 2023
- Attested copy of the original Matriculation / O Level result (web downloaded results are not acceptable).
- In case of the O Level, a minimum of 8 subjects must have been passed. They should include English, Mathematics and 3 compulsory subjects (Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu).
- Attested copy of the original Intermediate / A Level / High School / IB result (web downloaded results are not acceptable).
- In case of the A Level, a minimum of 3 subjects must have been passed.
- Attested copy of the O and A Level, High School or IB Equivalence Certificate (whichever applicable) issued by the IBCC.
- Attested copies of the final transcript and degree of 4-year Honors / 2-year Conventional Bachelor’s and 2-year Conventional Master’s.
- Attested copies of the final Transcript and Degree of MPhil / MS.
- In case you have not received your degree yet, you are required to apply for it.
- Students can submit their MPhil / MS Transcript at least till the 3rd semester at the time of form submission. If offered admission, it will be a provisional offer; they must submit an attested copy of their complete official Transcript within 30 days of the beginning of the semester.
- Students having a foreign Bachelor’s / MPhil / MS Degree must get their Equivalence from the Higher Education Commission (HEC).
- Attested copy of the GAT Subject / GRE Subject result.
- Research statement (1000 – 1500 words) where you would provide a concise write-up about the research theme that you would like to pursue. Include a brief description of your proposed research work plan as well.
- Two Reference Letters.
- One recent passport-sized photograph.
- One copy each of the Student’s CNIC and of the Father/Guardian.
- Receipt of the Application Processing Fee (Rs. 3500).
Note: All documents submitted must be attested by a Gazetted Officer.
Payment Modes for Admission Processing Fee
- Please click here for instructions on how to pay your Application Processing Fee over the counter in HBL, UBL, Meezan & Allied Bank.
- Please click here for instructions on how to pay your Application Processing Fee through HBL, Meezan Bank & UBL Mobile App & Internet Banking.
- Please click here to pay the Application Processing Fee online.
In case you are not located in Lahore, you can send us the Admission Form along with all the required documents through Courier. You would need to make a Pay Order of Rs. 3500 from any Branch of HBL in the name of ‘Forman Christian College’. Then send us the Courier at ‘Admissions Office, Ahmad Saeed Administration Building, Forman Christian College, Ferozepur Road, Lahore 54600’.
In case of any query, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for the Merit List for Round 1 of Admissions.
Click here for the Merit List for Round 2 of Admissions.
- One of the oldest departments of Economics in the country (Established in 1915)
- One of the highest number of PhD faculty members in a department of Economics in the country (13 PhDs)
- Regularly reviewed and updated course curriculum to keep the learning experience at par with development in the field of Economics
- A peer reviewed, Y-Category HEC recognized annual research Journal titled “Forman Journal of Economic Studies” (Volume 13, Published in 2017)
- Annual National Research Conference held to expose students to issues of contemporary significance in the field of Economics
- Computer Research Laboratory with latest and licensed Software versions of Eviews, Stata, SPSS – Multimedia installed in the lab to train students with hands-on exposure
- Regular Lectures and Seminars, inviting experts and policy makers to speak about issues pertaining to the areas of their expertise
- Ewing Memorial Library offering Books, Journals, periodicals, electronic databases, HEC digital library and E-Books
- Open-door policy by faculty members, ensuring an environment of optimal student-teacher interaction for academic support
- Rigorous research standards to ensure quality research and capable researchers
- A good reception of MPhil graduates in Public and Private sector enterprises in the fields of Academia, Banking, Research, Public Policy and Non-Government Organizations