The Department of Islamic Studies was renamed in 2005 as the Department of Religious Studies to be a model of interfaith harmony and representative of the vision of the founder of Pakistan who once stated, “We are starting in the days when there is no discrimination, no distinction between one community and another, no discrimination between one caste or creed and another. We are starting with this fundamental principle that we are all citizens and equal citizens of one State.”
The Department of Religious Studies contributes to fulfill the mission, vision and values of FCCU by creating an atmosphere that is conducive to character building, liberal arts education, higher order thinking skills, and inter-faith relations. Here students have the opportunity to study in a religiously diverse environment where they work together with people of different religious faiths, ethnicity and culture. The Department adopts an interdisciplinary approach to the academic study of religion to provide students a broader understanding of the role of religion in human life. Although most courses offered by the Department are on Islam and Christianity, we do not endorse a particular creed or sectarian position.
The Department of Religious Studies offers five streams: BA (Hons) Islamic Studies, BA (Hons) Christian Studies, BS (Hons) Christian Studies, Certificate in Biblical Language (18 credits), and MPhil Biblical Studies. The lower-division courses for each concentration are designed to provide students with a fundamental understanding of their respective major, while the upper-division courses provide them with depth and breadth of knowledge.
- A 4-year BA/BS (Hons) degree (completed with at least 2.0 CGPA) from an HEC-recognized university, or a conventional MA/MSc (completed with at least 60% marks).
- Successful completion of the 18-credit Certificate of Biblical Language from Forman Christian College or its equivalent.
- Passing examinations in Biblical Knowledge, Christian Theology and English.
Note: Acceptance is based upon the 1) departmental test, 2) Interview and 3) an overall evaluation of the candidate, including academic achievement, statement of purpose, and English language proficiency.
Provisional admission can be sought by students awaiting final results. Their admission will only be confirmed once they have submitted their complete official Transcript within the due dates.
- An international and highly qualified faculty with degrees from respected foreign theological institutions.
- Integration of Biblical theology with competence in Biblical language.
- Integration of the practice of spiritual formation along with quality academic research.
- A high ratio of faculty to students to enable personal attention and instruction.
- All the benefits of earning a postgraduate degree from a highly respected university.
- Qualification to teach in any educational institute, including any HEC accredited university in Pakistan.
- Qualification to enter foreign PhD programs in Biblical Studies.
- Competence in interpreting biblical passages in the original language.
- Competence in producing theological literature for Pakistani Pastors, Teachers, and Lay people.
Forman Christian College offers a Certificate in Biblical Language for either Old Testament Hebrew or New Testament Greek. Students in the certificate program study a sequence of four courses (Greek 1 or Hebrew 1, Greek 2 or Hebrew 2, Greek 3 or Hebrew 3 or Greek 4 or Hebrew 4). In addition, students study 2 additional courses, an exegesis course or a reading course in their chosen biblical language. This sequence takes 2 full years of part-time study plus summer school.
This certificate program is unique in Pakistan. Those successfully completing the certificate may gain several potential benefits:
- Significantly enhanced skills in interpreting the Bible for Pastors or Bible Teachers
- Qualification to teach basic Biblical language introduction courses for either Greek or Hebrew in a Bible college or Christian educational institution or NGO
- Eligibility to apply for admission to advanced theological study, either to the MPhil in Biblical Studies program offered by Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) or to foreign Postgraduate programs in theology
- Enhanced ability for researching ancient Greek writers using Koine Greek (which is very close to Classical Greek), a skill which could be valuable for historians, philosophers or those studying religions
- Enhanced ability for researching the Hebrew religion using Old Testament Hebrew, a skill which could be valuable for those studying religions
- Two Concentration areas: Old Testament Hebrew and New Testament (Koine) Greek
- Highly qualified foreign-trained Professors
- Smaller classes with individualized attention
- Earning a certificate from an HEC approved University
Who may enroll in this program? Anyone eligible for admission to the Honors (BA/BS) degree program of Forman Christian College
Note: This certificate is required for admission into Forman Christian College’s MPhil in Biblical Studies
Admission Timeline (Fall 2022)
||July 1, 2022
||Last Date for Submission of Form
||September 7, 2022
||Date: September 9, 2022
Date: September 13-15, 2022
(For all the updates check the university website)
||September 19, 2022
||Last Date for Fee Submission
||September 23, 2022
||September 26, 2022
NOTE: If you are located in Lahore please visit the Admissions Office to collect your admit slip. If you are located in another city, you need to visit the Admissions Office an hour before the test.
DO NOT FORGET TO BRING 2 PASSPORT-SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS.
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 test and interview dates can be decided subject to university opening.
1. An attested copy of the original Matriculation / O level result (web downloaded results are not acceptable)
2. In case of O Level, a minimum of 8 subjects must have been passed
3. An attested copy of the original Intermediate / A level / High School result (web downloaded results are not acceptable)
4. In case of A Level, a minimum of 3 subjects must have been passed
5. A and O Level and American High School Students have to submit a copy of their Equivalence Certificate (Attested and stamped from IBCC)
6. Attested copies of the final transcript of 4-year Honors / 2-year Conventional Bachelors and / or 2-year Conventional Masters degree
7. FCCU students need to attach the attested copy of their official Baccalaureate transcript
8. Students can submit their Transcript at least till the 7th semester at the time of form submission. If offered admission they must submit an attested copy of their complete official Transcript within 30 days of the beginning of the semester
9. Students having a foreign Bachelors Degree must get their Equivalence from HEC
10. Two reference letters
11. Statement of purpose (300 – 500 words) describing the reason(s) why the student is applying to the program, long-term goals and the reason(s) for selecting Forman Christian College
12. Two recent passport-sized photographs
13. One copy each of the student’s CNIC and of the father/guardian
14. Receipt of the application processing fee (Rs. 3500)
Please click here for instructions on how to pay your admission processing fee over the counter in HBL, UBL and Meezan Bank
Please click here for instructions on how to pay your admission processing fee through HBL or Meezan Bank Mobile App
In case you are not located in Lahore then you can send us the Admission Form along with all the required documents through Courier. You would need to make a Pay Order of Rs. 3500 from any Branch of HBL in the name of Forman Christian College. Then send us the Courier at Admission Office, Ahmad Saeed Administration Building, Forman Christian College, Ferozepur Road, Lahore 54600.
In case of any query, contact firstname.lastname@example.org