Population Research Center (PRC) was established in 2019 to conduct, promote, and strengthen inter-disciplinary population studies research in Pakistan. The PRC is an independent Center that was collaboratively created by the Departments of Economics, Geography, Statistics and Sociology and is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
In unison with the motto of FCCU “by love serve one another” the mission of PRC is to serve the people in the true spirit of inclusion and democracy as the premier teaching and research institute of Population Studies in Pakistan. The main purpose of the institute includes providing advanced training to students in Population Studies, generating and disseminating research on population growth and its impact, spreading awareness on population related issues and evaluating existing policies and initiatives to counter the population problem in Pakistan and collaborating with national and international institutions for trainings and research.
PRC has following objectives
- 1. To generate interdisciplinary research on core population related domains in Pakistan, like food safety and security, water, health, employment, education, human rights, environment, standard of living, minorities, population redistribution, family dynamics, aging, mortality, labor and markets, and family dynamics.
- 2. To train undergraduate and graduate students in demography and population studies.
- 3. To develop institutional linkages with leading population research centers in the world, specifically in the South Asia region, and engage in collaborative research, and training.
- 4. To provide a platform for prominent scholars and experts to participate in an ongoing solution-focused discourse on population growth and population related challenges in Pakistan.
- 5. To spread awareness about the burgeoning population and its implications for Pakistan.
- 6. To evaluate the impact of existing policies and programs to meet the challenges posed by population growth in Pakistan and share recommendations to concerned bodies.
It has been a privilege to see how faculty at Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) have come together under the leadership of Dr. Sikandar Hayat, Dean of Social Sciences and Dr. Muhammad Vaqas Ali, Department Chairman for Sociology to establish the Population Research Center (PRC) as a recognized Center by the Population Council of Pakistan. Their tireless efforts have produced a forum for study, training and research that will be a benefit to our students and faculty as well as contributing to the national efforts of the Population Council in Pakistan. We are very pleased that FC College is able to host this initiative.
The Population Research Center (PRC) was established on 2nd October 2019 with the Rector, Dr James A. Tebbe, signing MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with the Population Council Pakistan, supported by the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). Dr Zeba Sathar, Country Director Population Council Pakistan, and Dr G.M.Arif, Consultant Population Council, two internationally renowned specialists on population studies and demography, were particularly involved and helpful.
The Centers support affiliates, students, and the campus community with services and expertise to plan, conduct, and disseminate research in the population sciences, as well as opportunities to network through events.
Resources and Facilities include:
- 1. Grant writing support, from a search for funding sources, to grant preparation, review and editing, budget development, to submission;
- 2. Links to the larger population science community on campus and beyond through events and the Bi-monthly News newsletter;
- 3. Training & assisting on pilot projects and other funded research;
- 4. Specialized consulting on data sets and survey design.
- 5. Computer Lab access to the digital repository
- 6. Library holding academic journals,Population Studies related books, reports and other resources.
- 7. Meeting/Conference Room
- 8. Research Rooms providing work space for PRC research teams
- 9. Scholar Residency providing room and office space for a visiting scholar
1. Certification in Population Studies
Undergraduate students opting for a major or minor in Economics, Sociology, Geography and Statistics, will be offered the option of earning a ‘Specialization in Population Studies Certificate’ by taking Population Studies courses as electives. This certificate will be issued by the Population Research Center at FCCU, and will not alter in any way the major and minor requirements of the baccalaureate program, as laid down per HEC rules.
2. Minor in Population Studies (undergraduate level)
The PRC is also planning to offer a minor in Population Studies (18 – 24 credit hours) at the undergraduate level.
Room # 111, Ahmad Saeed Administration Building
Room # 037, Business and Social Sciences Building
Contact for Queries
Population Research Centre
Forman Christian College
Ferozepur Road Lahore 54600
Phone: +92 (42) 99231581- 88 (Extension) – 643
Fax: + 92 (42) 99230703