Dr Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh
Post Doctorate in Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Characterization and Application (Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Penang, Malaysia) Post Doctorate in Physical Chemistry; Catalysis, Micellar Effects, Kinetics (Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC), Brazil) PhD Chemistry (University of Karachi) Room # 147, Armacost Science Building Ext: 555
Dr. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh completed B.Sc (Hons.) in Chemistry and M.Sc in Physical Chemistry with first class with first positions in both examinations. He has been duly awarded three gold medals for his outstanding academic performance in the M.Sc final Chemistry examination of the University of Karachi and was declared as the best student of the whole Faculty of Science. He earned Ph.D. in the field of Chemistry in 2003, first postdoctoral research (catalysis) in 2007 in Brazil on a fellowship awarded by the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS), Italy and CNPq, Brazil and second postdoctoral research (nanomaterials) in 2010 in Malaysia awarded by Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and TWAS. He has received other Awards/Shields/ Scholarships along with four gold medals for excellent performance in research and service to society.
He has over 19 years of professional experience and served the University of Karachi, Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Pakistan Council for Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, and GC University Lahore as a Registrar.
Dr. Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh has been awarded many international and national awards; selected by UNESCO and participated as a “Representative of Pakistan” in the first Assembly of the World Association of Young Scientists (WAYS) in Morocco in 2004, awarded “Young Chemist Award” by IUPAC in Italy in 2007, selected as “Young Scientist” by TWAS in Egypt and IAP in Germany in 2010, selected as “Young Scientist” by IAP/World Economic Forum to participate in the annual meeting of new champions 2010 in China, selected as “Young Researcher” in 2013 by the Council for Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings for the 63rd Lindau Nobel Laureate meeting, awarded IUPAC-2015 Award for Chemists as an outstanding chemist from developing countries, received Gold Medal for Best Performance by Minister for Higher Education, Punjab in 2016, received SATHA Innovation Award 2018 with Gold Medal by South Asia Triple Helix Association (SATHA). He has been selected as “Productive Scientists of Pakistan” by PCST since 2005 and ranked 1st in Lahore, 4th in Punjab and 11th in Pakistan (Category Chemistry Young Scientists) in 2017, received Research Productivity Awards for the year 2012-2013, 2013-2014 (Category B with highest score from GC University Lahore), 2015-2016 (Category A and ranked at 1st in Lahore, 2nd in Punjab and 11th in Pakistan in Chemistry, over all 26th in Pakistan), 2017-2018 (Category C and ranked at 16th in Pakistan with the highest score from GC University Lahore) by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology.
He has participated in many international conferences/training sponsored by UNESCO, IUPAC, TWAS, WAYS, UNU, IAP, PSF, AKB Stiftung, INS, IFA, INN, WHS, and HEC etc. He is a member of 15 international professional bodies. He has published more than 105 papers in international/national repute journals, published/edited 23 books, issued 07 US patents/applications, presented 48 papers in international/national conferences and gave 54 plenary/invited lectures in 25 countries around the globe, he is the referee of 61 journals. He has won 06 major Research Grants from TWAS, USM, HEC, PSF, ORIC GCU in the area of nanotechnology, two industrial projects, established first-ever Nano-Chemistry Lab., at GC University Lahore and has supervised 44 M.Phil./Ph.D. theses. This biography is updated until November 2019.
- Nanotechnology: Synthesis of metal oxides nanoparticles, nanocomposites and thin films for their applications in nanofiltration for waste water, nano-fertilizer for slow release nitrogen/urea, catalysis, photodegradation of industrial wastes/organic pollutants/pesticides, solid oxides fuel cells, solar cells, antibiotic/anticancer nanodrugs, drug delivery & release, and toxicity of nanomaterials.
- Nano-Forensics: Analysis and health hazards of poisons in medicinal oils. Antimicrobial activities of drugs. Application of nanomaterials in degradation of explosive materials and development of nanopowders for latent fingerprints.
- Physical Chemistry: Kinetic study of electron transfer reactions. Reaction mechanism. Micellar effect and catalysis of organic/inorganic reactions of biological interest.
US Patents/Applications Issued:
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Development of nanofiltration system with La/SnO2-TiO2 nanoparticles, US patent filing application No. 15/131,814, Patent. No. US 10,258,977 B2, Pub. Date of patent issued: 16 April 2019.
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Muhammad Rehan Gul, and Muhammad Khaleeq-ur-Rahman, Ciprofloxacin loaded diethylaminoethyl cellulose nanoparticles, US patent filing application No. 14/516,824, Patent. No. US 9,555,009 B2, Date of patent issued: 31 January 2017.
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Adarsh Shams, and Muhammad Khaleeq-ur-Rahman, Drug entrapment efficiency and sustained drug release of Chloramphenicol loaded polymeric-iron nanoparticles, US patent filing application No. 14/514,055, Patent. No. US 9,393,313 B2, Date of patent issued: 19 July 2016.
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, ZnO-SiO2 nanopowder for the development of latent fingerprints, US patent filing application No. 13/968,025, Pub. No.: US 2015/0050495 A1, Publication Date: 16 February 2015.
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh and Fizza Naseem, Nano-Leucite for Slow Release Nitrogen Fertilizer and Green Environment, US patent filing application No. 13/738,727, Patent No. US 8,911,526 B2, Date of patent issued: 16 December 2014.
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh and Rohana Adnan, Zinc oxide nanoflaks for treatment of pollutants, US patent filing application No. 13/609,962, Pub. No.: US 2014/0069819 A1, Publication Date: 13 March 2014.
- Muhammad Akhyar Farrukh, Analytical Grade Salt, US patent filing application No. 13/216,232, Patent No. US 8,273,321 B1, Date of patent issued: 25 September 2012.
Please visit the following website for detail publications
- ORCID: https://goo.gl/rZWSwt
- Google Scholar: https://goo.gl/JRvCeK
- Researchgate: https://goo.gl/Mij5v5