Dr Mariya al-Rashida did her PhD in Chemistry in 2011 from the Institute of Chemistry, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan as an HEC Scholar (Indigenous Scholarship, Batch III). She is currently working as an Associate Professor & Chairperson at the Department of Chemistry, Forman Christian College (A Chartered University), Lahore, Pakistan. Her area of research is synthetic & computational medicinal chemistry, she has published 47 research papers in international peer reviewed journals and has an impact factor of more than 100. She has one US Patent to her credit (US-Patent No. 9643169). Dr Mariya al-Rashida has two on-going HEC funded NRPU Research Projects of worth Rs. 3.9 and 3.7 million. Currently her research is focused on ionic liquid and deep eutectic solvent mediated synthesis of novel compounds, and exploring their biological activities as inhibitors of metalloenzymes (carbonic anhydrase, ectonucleotidases), and monoamine oxidase. She has been the recipient of Research Productivity Award, awarded by the Pakistan Council for Science and Technology (PCST), for the years 2015 and 2016. She was awarded IUCr Young Scientist Award, sponsored by The International Union of Crystallography (IUCr) in 2016.
Synthetic and computational medicinal chemistry, ionic liquid and deep eutectic solvent mediated synthesis of biologically active molecules, synthesis of small molecules as ion sensors, synthesis of inhibitors of metalloenzymes, DNA interaction and molecular docking studies
Process for the Preparation of Quinoline Based Ionic Fluoride Salts (QUFs). A. Hameed, N. Iqbal, J. Hashim, K. M. Khan, S. T. Moin, S. Ahmad, S. A. Ali, F. Z. Basha, M. al-Rashida, R. D. Alharthy, S. Perveen, US-Patent No. 9643169, Application No. 15.158,867, Patent Date 09/05/2017.
Life Member Chemical Society of Pakistan.
- Guest Editor for Special Issue “Recent Developments of Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitors as potential Drugs” in BioMed Research International.
Funded Research Projects
- Research project titled, “Ionic Liquid Mediated Multicomponent Reactions (MCRs) for Synthesis of Biologically Active Heterocyclic Compounds: Synthesis, Structural Elucidation and Evaluation of Biological Activities Targeting Neurodegenerative Diseases” of Rs 3.7 million, by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) under National Research Program for Universities (NRPU). Year awarded: 2018.
- Research project titled, “Synthesis of Novel Sulfonamide Derivatives as Inhibitors of Ectonucleotidases” of 3.9 Million Rs., by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) under National Research Program for Universities (NRPU) [project No. 20-3133/NRPU/R&D/HEC/13/675]. Year awarded: 2015; year completed: 2018. [completed, final report submitted]
- Jamshed Iqbal, Syeda Abida Ejaz, Aamer Saeed, Mariya al-Rashida. Detailed investigation of anticancer activity of sulfamoyl benz(sulfon)amides and 1H-pyrazol-4-yl benzamides: An experimental and computational study. Eur J Pharmacol. 2018;832:11-24. (IF 2017 = 3.040)
- Mariya al-Rashida, Gazala Batool, Almas Sattar, Syeda Abida Ejaz, Samiullah Khan, Joanna Lecka, Jean Sévigny, Abdul Hameed, Jamshed Iqbal. 2-Alkoxy-3-(sulfonylarylaminomethylene)-chroman-4-ones as potent and selective inhibitors of ectonucleotidases. Eur J Med Chem. 2016;115:484-94. (IF 2017 = 4.816)
- Mariya Al-Rashida, Sana Ahsen. In search of a docking protocol to distinguish between DNA intercalators and groove binders: Genetic algorithm vs. shape-complementarity based docking methods. RSC Adv., 2015;5:72394-72404. (IF 2017 = 2.936)
- Mariya al-Rashida, Syeda Abida Ejaz, Sharafat Ali, Aisha Shaukat, Mehwish Hamayoun, Maqsood Ahmed, Jamshed Iqbal. Diarylsulfonamides and their bioisosteres as dual inhibitors of alkaline phosphatase and carbonic anhydrase. Bioorg. Med Chem. 2015;15;23(10):2435-44. (IF 2017 = 2.881)
- Mariya al-Rashida, Jamshed Iqbal. Therapeutic Potentials of Ecto-Nucleoside Triphosphate Diphosphohydrolase, Ecto-Nucleotide Pyrophosphatase/Phosphodiesterase, Ecto-5′-Nucleotidase, and Alkaline Phosphatase Inhibitors. Med Res Rev 2013;34(4):703-43. (IF 2017 = 8.29)
- Mariya-al-Rashida, Rabia Raza, Ghulam Abbas, Muhammad Shakil Shah, George E. Kostakis, Joanna Lecka, Jean Sévigny, Muhammad Muddassar, Constantina Papatriantafyllopoulou, Jamshed Iqbal. Identification of Novel Chromone Based Sulfonamides as Highly Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Alkaline Phosphatases. Eur J Med Chem 2013;66:438-449. (IF 2017 = 4.816)