The Department of Islamic Studies was renamed in 2005 as Department of Religious Studies to be a model of interfaith harmony and representative of the vision of the founder of Pakistan who once stated, “We are starting in the days when there is no discrimination, no distinction between one community and another, no discrimination between one caste or creed and another. We are starting with this fundamental principle that we are all citizens and equal citizens of one State.”
Department of Religious Studies contributes to fulfill the mission, vision and values of FCCU by creating an atmosphere that is conducive to character building, liberal arts education, higher order thinking skills, and inter-faith relations. Here students have the opportunity to study in a religiously diverse environment where they work together with people of different religious faiths, ethnicity and culture. The Department adopts an interdisciplinary approach to the academic study of religion to provide students a broader understanding of the role of religion in human life. Although most courses offered by the Department are on Islam and Christianity, we do not endorse a particular creed or sectarian position.
Forman Christian College University’s mission is “to impart, create and disseminate knowledge and to develop informed, ethical and responsible citizens who are prepared to learn, lead and serve, and who live by the college motto ‘By Love Serve One Another.’” As a part of fulfilling Forman’s mission, the Christian Studies Program has identified specific educational needs within Pakistan’s Christian community which are currently not being met; the scarcity of academically qualified teachers of New and Old Testament and the scarcity of quality Urdu theological books and articles.
In 2017, Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) approved an MPhil in Biblical Studies with a concentration either in Old or New Testament to address this need. The course of study involves a mixture of courses in either Hebrew (Old Testament) or Koine Greek (New Testament) and biblical theology, plus a thesis on an approved topic.
The MPhil in Biblical Studies is a two-year degree program (one year class work and one year thesis) designed to prepare teachers of Biblical Studies for positions in universities, seminaries and educational institutions teaching Biblical Hebrew or New Testament Greek, Old or New Testament courses or to enter into PhD programs in Biblical Studies. Students will specialize in one of two tracks, Old Testament Theology or New Testament Theology. Students will enter the program already proficient in either New Testament Greek or Old Testament Hebrew, enabling them to study the Bible in its original languages. In addition, through an emphasis on critical thinking skills and the principles of sound Biblical exegesis, students will gain skills in applying the Biblical theological themes within the Bible to the present day needs of the Christian Community within Pakistan.
- 16 years of education from any HEC recognized university
- A minimum of 2.5 CGPA or a conventional MA / MSc with a minimum of 60% marks
- In case of a BA / BS (Hons) degree, 130 credit hours should be completed
- Successful completion of the 18-credit Certificate of Biblical Language from Forman Christian College or its equivalence
- Passing examinations in Biblical Knowledge, Christian Theology and English
- Short listed candidates will appear for an interview
Forman Christian College offers a Certificate in Biblical Language for either Old Testament Hebrew or New Testament Greek. Students in the certificate program study a sequence of four courses (Greek 1 or Hebrew 1, Greek 2 or Hebrew 2, Greek 3 or Hebrew 3 or Greek 4 or Hebrew 4). In addition, students study 2 additional courses, an exegesis course or a reading course in their chosen biblical language. This sequence takes 2 full years of part-time study plus summer school.
This certificate program is unique in Pakistan. Those successfully completing the certificate may gain several potential benefits:
- Significantly enhanced skills in interpreting the Bible for Pastors or Bible Teachers
- Qualification to teach basic Biblical language introduction courses for either Greek or Hebrew in a Bible college or Christian educational institution or NGO
- Eligibility to apply for admission to advanced theological study, either to the MPhil in Biblical Studies program offered by Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) or to foreign Postgraduate programs in theology
- Enhanced ability for researching ancient Greek writers using Koine Greek (which is very close to Classical Greek), a skill which could be valuable for historians, philosophers or those studying religions
- Enhanced ability for researching the Hebrew religion using Old Testament Hebrew, a skill which could be valuable for those studying religions
- Two Concentration areas: Old Testament Hebrew and New Testament (Koine) Greek
- Highly qualified foreign-trained Professors
- Smaller classes with individualized attention
- Earning a certificate from an HEC approved University
Who may enroll in this program? Anyone eligible for admission to the Honors (BA/BS) degree program of Forman Christian College
Note: This certificate is required for admission into Forman Christian College’s MPhil in Biblical Studies
- An international and highly qualified faculty with degrees from respected foreign theological institutions
- Integration of Biblical theology with competence in Biblical language
- Integration of the practice of spiritual formation along with quality academic research
- A high ratio of faculty to students to enable personal attention and instruction
- All the benefits of earning a postgraduate degree from a highly respected university
- Qualification to teach in any educational program, including any HEC accredited university in Pakistan
- Qualification to enter foreign PhD programs in Biblical Studies
- Competence in interpreting biblical passages in the original language
- Competence in producing theological literature for Pakistani Pastors, Teachers and Laypeople
NOTE: If you are located in Lahore please visit the Admissions Office to collect your admit slip. If you are located in another city, you need to visit the Admissions Office an hour before the test.
DO NOT FORGET TO BRING 2 PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS.
|A||Admissions Begin||June 1, 2020|
|B||Last Date for Submission of Form||September 30, 2020|
(For all the updates check university website)
|E||Merit List||Subject to University Opening|
|F||Last Date for Fee Submission||Subject to University Opening|
|G||Classes Begin||October 26, 2020|
NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 test and interview dates can be decided subject to university opening.
1. An attested copy of the original Matriculation / O level result (web downloaded results are not acceptable)
2. In case of O Level, a minimum of 8 subjects must have been passed
3. An attested copy of the original Intermediate / A level / High School result (web downloaded results are not acceptable)
4. In case of A Level, a minimum of 3 subjects must have been passed
5. A and O Level and American High School Students have to submit a copy of their Equivalence Certificate (Attested and stamped from IBCC)
6. Attested copies of the final transcript of 4-year Honors / 2-year Conventional Bachelors and / or 2-year Conventional Masters degree
7. FCCU students need to attach the attested copy of their official Baccalaureate transcript
8. Students can submit their Transcript at least till the 7th semester at the time of form submission. If offered admission they must submit an attested copy of their complete official Transcript within 30 days of the beginning of the semester
9. Students having a foreign Bachelors Degree must get their Equivalence from HEC
10. Two reference letters
11. Statement of purpose (300 – 500 words) describing the reason(s) why the student is applying to the program, long-term goals and the reason(s) for selecting Forman Christian College
12. Two recent passport-sized photographs
13. One copy each of the student’s CNIC and of the father/guardian
14. Receipt of the application processing fee (Rs. 3000)
Students have to submit admission application online and through TCS also on Admission Office, Ahmad Saeed Administration Building, Forman Christian College, Ferozepur Road, Lahore 54600 by February 12, 2021.
In case of any query, contact email@example.com