The MPhil Biblical Studies is a two-year degree (one year classwork and one year thesis)
designed to prepare teachers of Biblical Studies for positions in universities, seminaries and
educational institutions teaching biblical Hebrew or New Testament Greek, Old or New
Testament courses or to enter into PhD programs in Biblical Studies. Students will specialize in
one of two tracks, Old Testament Theology or New Testament Theology. Students will enter the
program already proficient in either New Testament Greek or Old Testament Hebrew, enabling
them to study the Bible in its original languages. In addition, through an emphasis on critical
thinking skills and the principles of sound biblical exegesis, students will gain skills in applying
the biblical theological themes within the Bible to the present day needs of the Christian
community within Pakistan.
● Demonstrate proficiency in translating Biblical texts, which enables students to interpret these texts with sensitivity to semantics, syntax, context, genre and manuscript evidence.
● Demonstrate critical thinking skills by the application of principles of good biblical exegesis with special attention to genre and context; priority of the original languages, clear passages governing unclear passages, etc.
● Using biblical theological principles:
o Trace the progressive revelation of major themes of the Old and New Testaments, including gaining skills in finding such themes for themselves.
o Analyze the distinctive and emphases by the authors in specific books of the Old and New Testament.
o Demonstrate skill in researching and formulating appropriate principles and their application to relevant issues in the student’s context within the Christian community and the larger community of Pakistan.
● In accordance with FCCU’s core values, demonstrate spiritual maturity by:
o Evidencing maturity and holistic growth in Christian character and Christian disciplines.
o Exemplifying maturing faith in relationship with God and in commitment to reconciled relationships and restored communities.
o Demonstrate the ability to perform research in biblical theology and write research projects using clear writing and giving attention to the relevant primary and secondary sources.
● 16 years of education from any HEC recognized university
● A minimum of 2.5 CGPA or a conventional MA / MSc with a minimum of 60% marks
● In case of a BA / BS (Hons) degree, 130 credit hours should be completed
● Successful completion of the 18 credit Certificate of Biblical Language from Forman Christian College or its equivalence
● Passing examinations in Biblical Knowledge, Christian Theology and English
● Short listed candidates will appear for an interview
Forman Christian College offers a Certificate in Biblical Language for either Old Testament Hebrew or New Testament Greek. Students in the certificate program study a sequence of four courses (Greek 1 or Hebrew 1, Greek 2 or Hebrew 2, Greek 3 or Hebrew 3 or Greek 4 or Hebrew 4). In addition, students study 2 additional courses, an exegesis course or a reading course in their chosen biblical language. This sequence takes 2 full years of part-time study plus summer school.
This certificate program is unique in Pakistan. Those successfully completing the certificate may gain
several potential benefits:
● Significantly enhanced skills in interpreting the Bible for Pastors or Bible Teachers
● Qualification to teach basic Biblical language introduction courses for either Greek or Hebrew in a Bible college or Christian educational institution or NGO
● Eligibility to apply for admission to advanced theological study, either to the MPhil in Biblical Studies program offered by Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) or to foreign Postgraduate programs in theology
● Enhanced ability for researching ancient Greek writers using Koine Greek (which is very close to Classical Greek), a skill which could be valuable for historians, philosophers or those studying religions
● Enhanced ability for researching the Hebrew religion using Old Testament Hebrew, a skill which could be valuable for those studying religions Salient Features
● Two Concentration areas: Old Testament Hebrew and New Testament (Koine) Greek
● Highly qualified foreign-trained Professors
● Smaller classes with individualized attention
● Earning a certificate from an HEC approved University
Who may enroll in this program? Anyone eligible for admission to the Honors (BA/BS) degree program of Forman Christian College
Note: This certificate is required for admission into Forman Christian College’s MPhil in Biblical Studies
● An international and highly qualified faculty with degrees from respected foreign theological
● Integration of Biblical theology with competence in Biblical language
● Integration of the practice of spiritual formation along with quality academic research
● A high ratio of faculty to students to enable personal attention and instruction
● All the benefits of earning a postgraduate degree from a highly respected university
● Qualification to teach in any educational program, including any HEC accredited university in Pakistan
● Qualification to enter foreign PhD programs in Biblical Studies
● Competence in interpreting biblical passages in the original language
● Competence in producing theological literature for Pakistani Pastors, Teachers and Laypeople
Click here to see the fee structure
● PEEF Scholarships available for eligible students
Your Content Goes Here