Dr Sikandar Hayat
Distinguished Professor of History and Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences
PhD (History) Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, 1987
MPhil (Political Science) Columbia University, New York, 1977
MA (Political Science), 1970
MA (History), 1968
LLB, 1966, University of Peshawar
Room # 037, Business and Social Sciences Building
Click here to view the complete CV
Dr Sikandar Hayat is Distinguished Professor of History and Public Policy and Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences at Forman Christian College (A Chartered University), holding a dual appointment in the Department of History and Pakistan Studies and the Center for Public Policy and Governance, since early 2013. In 2014-17, he was Chairperson of the History Department. Earlier, in 2006-12, he was Directing Staff (Research) at the National Management College (formerly Pakistan Administrative Staff College) and Dean, National Institute of Public Policy at the National School of Public Policy, Lahore. In 1973-2006, he was faculty at the Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, and, after serving for more than three decades, first at the Department of Pakistan Studies (founding faculty, till 1983) and later at the Department of History, he retired as Meritorious Professor and Chairperson of the Department of History. During this period, in 1991-1995, he was Education Counselor (Head of Education Division) at the Embassy of Pakistan in Washington DC, United States of America (USA). In 1995-96, he was American Institute of Pakistan Studies (AIPS) Scholar-in-Residence, and taught courses at Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo) and Arkansas State University (Jonesboro). He was AIPS Pakistan Lecture Series Speaker in 1990, 1997, and 2003, and delivered lectures on Pakistan at some of the leading universities in USA. In 2006, he was invited to teach a course on ‘Politics and Islam’ at Juniata College, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, USA, under Fulbright Visiting Specialist Program, ‘Direct Access to the Muslim World’. He has been an HEC-approved Supervisor, and has supervised PhD dissertations and MPhil theses at the Quaid-i-Azam and FC College universities.
Dr. Hayat has been member of a host of professional associations in the United States and Pakistan, including Association for Asian Studies (USA); Middle East Studies Association (USA); Annual Conference on South Asia, UW-Madison (USA); Pakistan Society of Development Economists (Islamabad); Council of Social Sciences (Islamabad); and Pakistan History Society (Karachi). He has participated in many national and international conferences, both at home and abroad, especially in the USA.
Dr Hayat’s primary research interests are Pakistan Movement (Quaid-i-Azam Jinnah Studies); British Indian History; Pakistan; Modern South Asia.
In addition to numerous research papers, published in national and international journals, Dr Hayat’s most recent publications are:
- Muslim Separatism and the Achievement of the Separate State of Pakistan: A Leadership Odyssey, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- ‘Ouaid-i-Azam’s Personality and its Role and Relevance in the Achievement of Pakistan’, in The Jinnah Anthology, 4thEdition, eds. Liaqat H. Merchant and Sharif al Mujahid (Karachi: Lightstone Publishers, 2018).
- The Charismatic Leader: Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah and the Creation of Pakistan, Oxford Pakistan Paperbacks, 2nded. (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2018). The first edition of the book was published in 2008, and is recipient of the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) ‘Best Book Publication Award’ for Social Sciences and Humanities for books published in 2008-2009. The second, revised edition was published in 2014.
- Aspects of the Pakistan Movement, 3rd rev. (Islamabad: National Institute of Historical and Cultural Research, 2016).
- ‘Muslim Revival and Freedom Movement’, in A History of Pakistan, ed., Roger D. Long (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2015)
Currently, Dr Hayat is working on an edited volume tentatively titled, ‘Pakistan Studies: A Book of Readings,’ for college students in Pakistan (and abroad).