DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
Ph.D. Applied Psychology (University of the Punjab, Lahore)
MSc Health Psychology (University of Surrey, UK)
MPhil Psychology (National Institute of Psychology, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad)
MSc Applied Psychology (University of the Punjab, Lahore)
Dr. Shahed has been involved in teaching, research, and counseling for the last 35 years. She is very well known as the pioneer of Health Psychology in Pakistan. She has previously worked in prestigious institutions such as Quaid-i- Azam University, Islamabad, and Lahore College for Women University.
Her last appointment before joining FCCU was as Director of Women Institute for Leadership and Learning, Chairperson of Gender and Development Studies, and Professor of Applied Psychology at LCWU.
She was awarded the Best University teacher award in 2014. She is also an FCO SAS scholarship holder.
She has been associated as visiting faculty and Ph.D./MS examiner with various institutions including BNU, GCU Lahore, PIFD, UMT, and the University of Punjab. She has recorded four courses for Virtual University.
She has been the Project Director of an HEC funded project. She was also the Principal Investigator/ Coordinator for a three-year Pakistan- US University Partnership with George Washington University USA. She has delivered teachers’ training for PHEC, Ali Institute, and other institutions. She has conducted training workshops for various institutions including NIPA.
She has also been conducting workshops in Stress Management, Assertiveness Training, Verbal and Non-verbal Communication, and other soft skills. Her zeal is not restricted to academic pursuits alone. She is associated with a number of significant social endeavors too. She is a member of the Chancellor’s Committee for the smooth running of the University of Narowal, Punjab Mental Health Authority, Executive Committee of Pakistan US Alumni Network, Lahore, Transplantation Evaluation Committee of Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital. She has been a member of the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee of Punjab Daycare Fund Society for many years.
She believes that her strengths include a high degree of motivation, hard work, and resilience along with her ability to take up challenges, remain goal-directed, and work under pressure. She is the author of an internationally published book book ‘Urban Women in Pakistan: Explorations in Health Psychology’ and a number of research articles. She introduced community mobilization by students of psychology through health education
Health psychology, health locus of control, women’s health beliefs and behaviors, gender studies, gender and health, reproductive health of women, gender and gerontology, gender analysis of media and textbooks, and women leadership. .
Author of an internationally published book ‘Urban Women in Pakistan: Explorations in Health Psychology’. International Haranand Publishers. (2012).
Articles Published in HEC-Recognized Journals:
- Khan, U.A., & Shahed, S. (2018). The Seeds of Leadership: Understanding Indigenous Characteristics of Male and Female Leaders. Bahria Journal Of Professional Psychology
July 2018 Vol-17, No. 2. 43-62.
- Ilyas, Z., & Shahed, S. (2018). Development and Validation of Healthy Experience of Aging Tool for Pakistani Older Adults. Journal of Pakistan Psychiatric Society. Vol 15 (3). 13-17.
- Adil, F., Shahed, S., & Arshad, H. (2017). The Burden of Being a Man in a Patriarchal Society. Journal of Arts and Social Sciences. 4. Issue 2. 57-70.
- Mohsin, Z., Shahed, S., & Sohail, T. (2017). Correlates of Professional Quality of Life in Nurses. Annals of King Edward Medical University. VOL 23 NO 4. 474-478.
- Nadeem, M., & Shahed. S. (2017). Factors Influencing the Attitude of Urban Educated Women Towards Politics. Journal of Arts and Social Sciences.4. Issue 1.
- Nadeem, M., & Shahed. S. (2017). Attitude of Educated Urban Youth towards Rape Myths. Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies: Alam-e-Niswan. Vol.24, No.1. 17-32.
- Malik, S., Ijaz, S., & Shahed. S. (2016). Psychosocial Well Being of Urban and Rural Infertile Women. Journal of Pakistan Psychiatric Society. Vol.13, No.2. 24-27.
- Sohail,T., Khalid. H., Shahed. S., Qureshi,U., Javed, Z.,& Islam, S. (2016). Daily Hassles Checklist for School Teachers. Journal of Pakistan Vision.Vol.17, No.2. 72-91.
- Shahed.S., Ilyas, Z., & Hashmi. A.M. (2016). Academic Performance, Self-Efficacy and Perceived Social Support of Visually Impaired Students. Annals of King Edward Medical University. Vol. 22, Issue 1. 2016. 72-77.
- Shahed.S., Hashmi, M.R., & Hashmi. A.M. (2016). Correlates of Science Concept Acquisition: Foundations for Better Doctors, Engineers, and Scientists. Annals of King Edward Medical University. Vol. 22, Issue 2. 90-95.
- Manzoor, H., & Shahed. S. (2016). Gender Differences in Young Adults’ Body Image and Self-Esteem. Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies: Alam-e-Niswan. Vol.22, No.2. 107-117.
- Shahed. S. (2015). Health Education for Enhancement of Self-Efficacy of Young Females. Medical Forum, Vol.26, No.6. 25-28.
- Saeed, H., & Shahed. S . (2015). Health Behaviors and Loneliness In Young Adults. Medical Forum. Vol.26, No.10. 53-56.
- Khan, U.A., & Shahed. S. (2015). Relationship between Nutritional Health and Academic Performance of School Going Children. Medical Forum. Vol.26, No.10. 57-61.
- Rauf. M., & Shahed. S. (2015). Factors Influencing the Acquisition of Science Concepts In Secondary School Students. Pakistan Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology. Vol,13, No.1. 20-27.
- Tehreen, T., & Shahed. S. (2014). Relationship between Ego Integrity, Despair, Social Support, and Health Related Quality of Life. Pakistan Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology. Vol,12, No.1. 26-33.
- Sohail, T., Khalid, H., Shahed. S., & Qureshi, U. (2014). Occupational Leadership Scale Development. Pakistan Vision.Vol.15, No.1. Pp.226-246.
- Shahed. S. (2013). Impact of Health Information Provision on Breast Cancer Related Knowledge and Protective Behaviors: An Experiment in Health Education. Lahore Journal of Economics, Lahore School of Economics, Vol. 18, No.1. 117-131.
- Yasin, S., Shahed. S., & Iqbal., T. (2013). The effect of Mother-Daughter Communication on Reproductive Health in Pakistani Society. Pakistan Journal of Women Studies: Alam-e-Niswan. Vol.20, No.2. 81-98.
Articles Published before 2005:
- Shahed. S. (1998). Health Locus of Control of Pakistani Female Immigrants. Journal of Behavioral Sciences (Department of Applied Psychology, University of the Punjab). Vol. 9. No 1-2. 55- 60.
- Shahed. S. (1997). Psychology and the Understanding of Diabetes Mellitus. Medical Forum. Vol. 8. No.12. 1997. 62 -66.
- Shahed. S. Methods of Health Education. (1997). Medical Forum. Vol. 8. No. 12. 67-71.
- Shahed. S. (1998). Development of a Test for Assessing Acquisition of Science Concepts among Secondary School Students. Journal of Special Education (Department of Special Education, University of the Punjab).Vol.1, Issue 1. 41-48.
- Shahed. S. (1997). Psychological Aspects of Genetic Counseling. The Journal of Psychology (Department of Psychology, Government College University, Lahore (GCU). No.24. 97-108.
- Shahed. S. Medical Psychology of Britain-Based Pakistani Women. (1994). Mother and Child. Vol. 32. No. 1. Maternity and Child Welfare Association of Pakistan, Lahore. 10-19.
- Shahed.S. The Philosophy Behind Concept Learning. (1996). Al Hikmat (Department of Philosophy, University of the Punjab). 43-59.
Papers accepted for publication/ under publication: A number of research articles are in the process of publication.
- POETICS IN SCHIZOPHRENIA. A translation. The monthly JAMIA. Zakir Hussain Institute of Islamic Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. 2006. 246-255.
- ‘Niswaniyat Aur Nafsiyat’ (Feminism and Psychology ). Translation of a chapter in the book “Aurat Zuban-e-Khalq Say Zuban-e-Hal Tak”. 296-320. Edited by Ms. Kishwar Naheed .1993. Lahore: Sang-e-Meel Publications.
International Project Publication:
- Portrayal of Women in Media: Portrayal of Women in Pakistani Television. UNDP PROJECT PAK/96/014. An empirical research. Nov. 2001. p1-145.