KAUSER ABDULLA MALIK SCHOOL OF LIFE SCIENCES
Ph.D. (University of Florida, USA)
MSc (University of Punjab, Lahore)
Teaching and research experience of 40 plus years at postgraduate and undergraduate levels and administrative experience within higher education system at FCC and Government College University Lahore. Member Biological Sciences faculty at FCC since 2003. Taught biology courses at university of Florida. Supervised research in the area of biochemical transformations in cereal crops and effect of heavy metals in plants. Life member of Pakistan Botanical Society.
Research interests: Include long-term effect of elevated CO2 levels on crop productivity especially with reference to enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism.
Publications: Published 23 papers, including book chapters and abstracts in national & international journals.
- Khan, A. S; M. W. Hussain and K. A. Malik. 2016. A Possibility of Using Waterlily (Nymphaea alba
L.) for Reducing the Toxic Effects of Chromium (Cr) in Industrial Wastewater. Pak.
Jour. Bot. 48(4): 1447-1452, 2016.
- Mubeen, U; M. W. Hussain, and K. Malik. 2012. Algal Biofuels: A Hope For Tomorrow.
Int. J. Phycol. Phycochem. 8(1): 69-72, 2012
- Mubeen, U; M. W. Hussain, I U Haq and K. Malik. 2011. Study of Native Algal Species for
Growth Potential and Lipid Yield. Current Research Journal of Biological Sciences,
- Mubeen, U; M. K. Laghari, M. W. Hussain, and K. Malik. 2011. Study of algal species from different
habitats of Lahore and Azad Kashmir. Vol. 6, No. 1.
- Islam, Zia-Ul and M. W. Hussain (2010). Impact of Waste Water on the Growth and
Photosynthetic Efficiency of Maize. (Abstract ). Amer. Soc. Plant Biol
- Hussain M. W. (2009) Impact of Tannery Effluents on Growth Performance and Carbohydrates
Status in Wheat. (Abstract No. P09004). Amer. Soc. Plant Biol. July 18-22, 2009
Hawaii Convention Centre, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Hussain M. W. (2008) Effect of Phosphorus Deficiency on Carbohydrate Transformation in Barley
Seedling. (Abstract 21003), Amer. Soc. Plant Biol. June 26 - Tuesday July 1, 2008
- Tahir, S. and M. W. Hussain (2006). Growth potential of barley irrigated with effluents of a tannery
from Kasur area. International symposium on strategies for crop improvement against
abiotic stress. (Abstract # 049)18-20 September, 2006, Department of Botany, Uni. Agri. Faisalabad.
- Hussain, M. W. and A. Mahmood (2004). Lipase activity and changes in lipid content in germinating
soybean seeds. Biologia. 50 (2):147-156
- Hussain, M.W. and H.S. Qasmi (2001). Distribution pattern of seed proteins in wheat seedlings under
nitrogen stress. (Abstract). Plant Physiol. 569
- Hussain, M.W., L.H.Allen Jr. and G.Bowes (1999). Up-regulation of sucrose phosphate synthase in
rice grown under elevated CO2 and temperature. Photosynth. Res. 60:199-208
- Hussain, M.W. (1999). Study of some kinectic properties of sucrose phosphate synthase from rice
leaves. Pak. Jour. Bot. 31:63-77
- George, B., J.C.V. Vu, M.W.Hussain, A.H.Pennanen and L.H.Allen Jr.(1996). An overview of how
rubisco and carbohydrate metabolism may be regulated at elevated atmospheric [CO2]and temperature. Agri. Food Sci. Fin. 5:261-270
- Hussain, M.W., S.Siddique and T.Shafiq (1997) Effect of ammoniation and silage on the nutritive
value of pea waste. Biologia. 43:1-10
- Hussain, M.W., G.Bowes and L.H.Allen Jr. (1992) Season-long effect of CO2 enrichment and levated
temperature on sucrose phosphate synthase in rice. Plant Physiol. 99:5
- Hussain, M.W., G.Bowes, A.J.Rowland-Bamford, and L.H.Allen Jr. (1991). Diel activity of Sucrose
phosphate synthase in rice. Plant Physiol. 96:92
- Hussain, M.W; A.J.Rowland-Bamford, J.T.Baker, L.H.Allen Jr. and G.Bowes (1990). Sucrose
Phosphate synthase activity in rice at elevated CO2 and temperature. Plant Physiol.
- Hussain, M.W. (1988). Transport of materials. In: An annotated text book of Biology for secondary
schools. S. Riaz-ud-Din and K.H.Sheikh (eds). Islamic Scientific and Cultural
Organization (ISESCO), Rabat, Morocco.
- Hussain, M.W. (1988). Photosynthesis. In: An annotated text book of Biology for secondary schools.
S. Riaz-ud-Din and K.H.Sheikh (eds). Islamic Scientific and Cultural Organization
(ISESCO), Rabat, Morocco.
- Hussain, M.W., and S.Vehra (1987). Effect of boiling on the in vitro protein digestibility of four
different pulses. Pak. Jour. Bot. 19:263-268
- Hussain, M.W., T. Parveen and R. Tufail (1987). Reduction in post harvest losses. Part II. Effect of
activated clay. Biologia. 33:191-200
- Hussain, M.W. and S. Zahra (1986). Effect of cooking on the in vitro protein digestibility of four
different pulses. Biologia. 32:315-321
- Hussain, M.W., P.Akhter, F.H.Shah and T.Firdos (1985). Reduction in post harvest losses. Part II Effect
of carbon dioxide gas. Biologia. 31:301-307