DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACY
Ph.D. Pharmacology (Medical University of Vienna, Austria)
MPhil Pharmacology (University of Sargodha)
Pharm-D (University of Sargodha)
Dr. Mazhar Asjad is a Registered Pharmacist and has 8 years of professional and research experience. Dr. Mazhar Asjad received a scholarship from the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan for his doctoral studies. He discovered two novel drugs for the treatment of infantile parkinsonism (parkinsonism in children) during his Ph.D. He is an active member of the Austrian Pharmacological Association. He has participated in 20 national and international conferences and earned several traveling and presentation awards. He published over 9 research/review papers in peer-reviewed indexed journals.
Structure-function relationship of proteins, mechanisms of protein folding and protein misfolding diseases, ER export, pharmacochaperoning, and trafficking of membrane proteins, extraction, isolation, purification, and determination of different in vitro and in vivo biological activities of plants and traditional medicines and evaluation of different biological activities of synthetic compounds and metal complexes in laboratory animals.
- Asjad HMM, Kasture A, El-Kasaby A, Sackel M, Hummel T, Freissmuth M, Sucic S (2017) Pharmacochaperoning in a Drosophila model system rescues human dopamine transporter variants associated with infantile/juvenile Parkinsonism. J Biol Chem. 292: 19250 –19265. (IF 4.125).
- Asjad HMM, Nasrollahi-Shirazi S, Sucic S, Freissmuth M, Nanoff C (2017) Relax, Cool Down and Scaffold: How to Restore Surface Expression of Folding-Deficient Mutant GPCRs and SLC6 Transporters. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2017, 18, 2416. (IF 3.226).
- Sucic S, Kasture A, Asjad HMM, Kern C, El-Kasaby A, Freissmuth M (2016) When transporters fail to be transported: how to rescue folding deficient SLC6 transporters. J. Neurol. Neuromed. 1: 34-40.
- Kasture A, El-Kasaby A, Szöllösi D, Asjad HMM, Grimm A, Stockner T, Hummel T, Freissmuth M, Sucic S (2016) Functional rescue of a misfolded Drosophila melanogaster dopamine transporter mutant associated with a sleepless phenotype by pharmacological chaperones. J. Biol. Chem. 291: 20876–20890. (IF 4.125).
- Akhtar MS, Asjad HMM, Bashir S, Malik A, Khalid R, Gulzar F, Irshad N (2013) Evaluation of antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of Khamira Gaozaban Ambri Jadwar Oad Saleeb Wala (KGA). Bang. J. Pharmacol. 8: 44-48. (IF 0.616).