DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
Ph.D. Civil Engineering (University of Queensland, Brisbane Australia)
BEng Land and Water Management (College of Land and Water Management, Velp, The Netherlands)
Dr. Derk is working as a faculty member in the Department of Environmental Sciences, FCCU since 2016. Has worked in the Department of Agriculture and Food of Western Australia from 1997 until 2015; Researching irrigation and drainage management, soil management, salinity, precision agriculture, non-wetting soils mainly in a broad-acre (wheat, canola, barley, sugarcane, and pastures) context; 1995 until 1997 sugarcane irrigation research with CSR Ltd in North Queensland; 1990 until 1995 soil research in cotton growing and teaching soil science at the University of South Queensland, Toowoomba, Australia; 1987 – 1990 soil research in Wageningen, the Netherlands.
Soil management, salinity, drainage, soil pollution, and crop interaction, gaseous movement in soils, water, and soil quality, the impact of soil management on greenhouse gases.
- Russo, D. and D. Bakker. 1987. Crop-Water Productions for Sweet Corn and Cotton Irrigated with Saline Waters. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Journal. 51: 1554 - 1562.
- Bakker. D. M. and J. J. B. Bronswijk. 1993. Heterogeneous Oxygen Concentrations in a Structured Clay Soil. Soil Science 155(5): 309 - 315.
- Harris, H. and D. M. Bakker. 1994. A Servo Controlled Simple Shear Box. Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 31, pp. 23 - 35
- Harris, H. and D. M. Bakker. 1994. A Soil Stress Transducer for Measuring In-situ Soil Stresses. Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 29, pp. 35 - 48.
- Bakker, D. M. and R. Davis, 1995. Soil Deformation in a Vertisol under Controlled Field Traffic. Australian Journal for Soil Research, vol. 33, pp. 817 - 832.
- Bakker, D. M., H. Harris and K. Y. Wong. 1995. Measurement of Stress Paths under Agricultural Vehicles and their Interpretation in Critical State Space. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, vol. 61, no 4, pp. 247 - 260.
- Bakker, D. M. and T. Barker. 1998. Soil structure assessment and 3-D visualization of a Vertosol under controlled traffic. Australian Journal for Soil Research, vol. 36, pp. 603-20.
- Bakker, D. M, G. Hamilton, D. Houlbrooke and C. Spann. 2005. The effect of raised beds on soil structure, waterlogging and productivity on duplex soils in Western Australia. Australian Journal of Soil Research. 43: 575-585.
- Bakker, D. M, G. Plunkett and J. Sherrard. 2006. Application efficiencies and furrow irrigation functions of the irrigations in sugar cane in the Ord River Irrigation Area of North Western Australia and the scope for improvement. Agricultural Water Management 83 162-172.
- Bakker, D. M, G. Hamilton, D. Houlbrooke, C. Spann and A. Van Burgel. 2007. Productivity of crops grown on raised beds on duplex soils prone to waterlogging in Western Australia. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 47 (10) 1368-1376.
- Bakker, D.M., G.J. Hamilton, R. Hetherington, C. Spann. 2010. Productivity of waterlogged and salt-affected land in a Mediterranean climate. Field Crops Research 117: 24–37.
- Bakker, D.M., G.J. Hamilton, R. Hetherington, C. Spann. 2010. Salinity dynamics and the potential for improvement of waterlogged and saline land in a Mediterranean climate using permanent raised beds. Soil & Tillage Research 110: 8–24.
- Roper, M. M., S. L. Davies, P. S. Blackwell, D. J. M. Hall, D. M. Bakker, R. Jongepier, and P. R. Ward. 2015 Management options for water-repellent soils in Australian dryland agriculture. Australian Journal of Soil Research. Vol. 53: 786-806.