Sociology is the systematic study of human society. It looks at social behavior, culture, social institutions, grouping within a society, and the relationships between different groups in society. Sociology helps us to identify social issues within our society and gives us conceptual tools to understand those issues so that we can have a society that is better for all of its members.
Students who study Sociology will learn to look at their own society and other societies in new ways, to question assumptions, to understand the society from the research of others, to record observations from a neutral position and to analyze them objectively, and to interpret their finding, all within an ethical framework.
Sociology helps orient students in terms of their future life, so that they learn skills helpful in many areas of business, government, and non-governmental organizations, as well as their personal lives. The Department of Sociology’s goal is to have students understand themselves and society at a family, group, local, regional, national, and global level. The Sociology Department is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
This degree equips students to demonstrate a mastery of sociological concepts and be able to use them; demonstrate a mastery of sociological theories and be able to apply them; apply sociological concepts and theories to real world situations at individual, family, group, national, and global levels; and demonstrate quantitative and qualitative research concepts and skills to conduct research projects. Graduates are able to exhibit a mastery of the English language and are able to effectively present ideas and research efforts in a scholarly and clear manner. The BS (Hons) builds on the BA (Hons) degree by requiring two more core courses and two more additional courses at the 300/400 level.
- Demonstrate a mastery of sociological concepts and be able to use them
- Demonstrate a mastery of sociological theories and be able to apply them
- Apply sociological concepts and theories to real world situations at individual, family, group, national, and global levels
- Demonstrate quantitative and qualitative research concepts and skills to conduct research projects
- Demonstrate critical thinking in the context of sociological and societal issues
- Demonstrate a mastery of the English language and be able to understand reading and oral presentations and to be able to present ideas and research efforts in a scholarly and clear manner in standard English, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrate the ethical principles of Sociology in working with people as well as in conducting research, including the demonstration of respect for cultural, religious, gender, ethnic and other social diversity at local, regional, national, and global levels
- Apply the knowledge base, thinking and technical skills relevant to the future and present job market and for graduate school in Pakistan and abroad
Eligibility criteria For BS (Hons):
- Students who have passed their Intermediate
- A- Level students who have cleared at least 3 principal A-Level exams (not AS Level) Equivalence attested from the IBCC Needed .
- A- Level students who have given their A levels exams in October, November and are awaiting results are eligible to apply, they need to attach a copy of the statement of entry.
- Students who have done their American High School. Equivalence needed attested from the IBCC .
- Students who have done their Intermediate from the Technical Board
- Students applying for BS (Hons) Biotechnology must have done FSc Pre-Medical or should have studied Biology and Chemistry in A-Level.
Chairperson & Assistant Professor
PhD (School of Criminal Justice, Michigan State University)
Room 131, Business and Social Sciences Building
Ext # 643
PhD & MPhil (Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, University of the Punjab, PK)
BSc Honors (London School of Economics and Political Science, UK)
Room # 123, Business and Social Sciences Building
Phd (Punjab University, Lahore)
MPhil (Punjab University, Lahore)
MA Sociology (Punjab University, Lahore)
BA (Hons) in Sociology from Forman Christian College (A Chartered University)
MPhil in Sociology from Institute of Social and Cultural Studies (ISCS), University of the Punjab, Lahore
|2020FA||2021SP||Total Fee per Year Excluding Tax||Total Fee per Year Including Tax||Per Credit Rate|
|Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Fall Admissions||Security for Fall Admissions||Total||Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Spring Admissions||Security for Spring Admissions||Total|