Physics has been taught at Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) since it was established in 1864. The Physics Department was instituted in 1907 with Prof DJ Fleming as its first Head. A long line of distinguished professors and prominent scientists have served at this Department, including Nobel Laureate Dr Arthur Compton, Prof JM Benade and Dr Piara Singh Gill. Dr Compton conducted most of his research on cosmic rays while a faculty member at FCC, which led to his receiving the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1927. Prof JM Benade was one of the longest serving professors in the Department, eventually retiring as its Head in 1970. He was an active researcher and the Asian representative in Dr Compton’s international research team. Dr Compton’s student Dr Piara Singh Gill was a faculty member at FCC from 1940 to 1947 and active in research. He was associated with the University of Chicago and the Georgia Institute of Technology. All these scientists and professors have made significant contributions to the field of Physics.
The Department of Physics offers a BS (Hons) degree in Physics that concentrates on building its students capacities as physicists through a variety of courses and learning activities. The Department is part of the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
- Demonstrate a general working knowledge of the basic areas of Physics and apply formal knowledge in a problem-solving environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic laboratory skills (e.g. instrumental analysis and laboratory safety) and formulate effective strategies for solving scientific problems
- Efficiently use library resources and technology to gather information, read, understand, and communicate scientific information clearly and precisely, both orally and in writing
- Analyze the broader implications of Physics-related experimentation and application processes (e.g., resource management, economic factors, and ecological considerations)
- Work effectively with others as part of a team to solve scientific problems
- Describe the opportunities in, and requirements for, careers available to those with training in Physics
Eligibility criteria For BS (Hons):
- Students who have passed their Intermediate
- A- Level students who have cleared at least 3 principal A-Level exams (not AS Level) Equivalence attested from the IBCC Needed .
- A- Level students who have given their A levels exams in October, November and are awaiting results are eligible to apply, they need to attach a copy of the statement of entry.
- Students who have done their American High School. Equivalence needed attested from the IBCC .
- Students who have done their Intermediate from the Technical Board
- Students applying for BS (Hons) Biotechnology must have done FSc Pre-Medical or should have studied Biology and Chemistry in A-Level.
Chairperson & Associate Professor
PhD, MS (University of Central Florida, USA) MSc (GCU, Lahore)
Associate Vice Rector for Academic Affairs (Acting)
PhD Molecular Gas Dynamics (Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia)
MS Atomic Physics (St Kliment Ohridski University, Sofia, Bulgaria)
Zohra and ZZ Ahmed Foundation Distinguished Professor for Mathematics and Physics
PhD Nuclear Physics, MS Solid State Physics (MIT, USA)
PhD (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
MSc (PU, Lahore)
Room # 045, Armacost Science Building
POSTDOC (University of Washington, USA)
PhD (GC University Lahore)
Room # 032, Armacost Science Building
PhD (University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore)
M.Phil (Govt. College University, Lahore)
Room # 035, Armacost Science Building
PhD (University of chinese Academy of sciences, Beijing, China)
MPhil (University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore)
Room # 021, Armacost Science Building
PhD (GC University, Lahore)
MPhil (GC University, Lahore)
Room # 025, Armacost Science Building
FOR BS (HONS)
|2018 FALL||2019 SPRING||Total Fee Year Excluding tax||Per Credit Rate|
|Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Fall Admissions||Security for Fall Admissions||Total||Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Spring Admissions||Security for Spring Admissions||Total|