Why do I need to see my Academic Adviser on regular basis?

Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor on a regular basis to ensure that they are on track. Academic advising is a responsibility of both the student and the advisor and the decision-making process by which students realize their maximum educational potential. Academic advising is a shared responsibility between an advisor and the student. The advisor serves as a facilitator and it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to make decisions about their academic goals by creating a plan to reach those goals.

How do I get in contact with my assigned Academic Adviser?

You can get in contact with your adviser by emailing him/her. Just in case you do not know about your adviser or your Empower Account does not display your Academic Adviser, you need to visit Academic Advising Center.

What kind of issues can be helped through Academic Advising?

Advisors help students resolve the academic issues if they face any, explore their academic interests, identify resources for additional information and support, and develop plans of study appropriate for their educational goals.

Is this confidential?

Yes, whatever is addressed and discussed is confidential. Nothing will be revealed to anyone outside the center. Except in the certain urgent circumstances, we would normally speak to you first before contacting other concerned department(s).

Does my concern have to be a serious one to see my Advisor?

Seeking academic advising is about making positive choice to get better academic planning for yourself. Please don’t wait until a concern turns into a problem. Address and discuss it when something is relatively minor, so that it can be handled more quickly.

Can I change my Advisor if I want?

No. Students can’t change their advisors without any reason. The student must visit Academic Advising Center to discuss the issues he/she is facing with his/her advisor and the decision of changing the advisor will be made on the basis of that.

Are there any other ways of approaching the Academic Student Support Officers? Can faculty members also refer students?

It’s preferred that students must first visit the Advising Center to discuss their issues instead of going to the faculty members. But if they feel more comfortable with a faculty member then the faculty member can refer the student to their respective departmental advisor.

Will I be provided with Handouts/Help Guide?

Students can visit the official website as all the Handouts/ Help Guide including roadmaps, checklists, catalogs and other important documents are available online.

Can I get a bachelor’s degree in less-than-designated time?

Yes. A student can get a bachelor’s degree in less-than-designated time if the student is able to meet all the graduation requirements.

Do I have to pay for the services provided by the Academic Advising Center?


When will I be assigned my major academic adviser?

The students having BCS, BSB and BTC program will be assigned their advisors right after they are finished with their forman experience (UNIV100 course). The other BA/BS students will be assigned their major advisors once they declare their major.

When am I supposed to declare my Major?

BA/BS students are supposed to declare their Major(s)/Minor(s) in their Sophomore year.

What if more help is required than the Academic Advising Center can provide?

Before dropping by the Advising Center, check to see if it’s the right place to have your questions answered.

Refer to this table to check whether or not you should seek service elsewhere on campus:

If you need help with:Respective Office
Health and well-beingMercy Health Center and Counseling Services
Career/employment counselingCareer Services Office
Student ActivitiesStudent Life Activates Offices
International EducationInternational Education Office
AdmissionAdmissions Office
Tuition and feeAccounts Office
Financial matterFinancial Aid Office
Academic IssuesAcademic Office