The Department of Sociology at Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) was established in 2006. The department aims to provide students with an applied understanding of the sociological theory and research that is grounded in social context of Pakistan. The department offers thematic courses that look at a wide range of social problems in Pakistan with an overall solution-focused approach. The department organizes seminars, panel discussions, guest lectures and field trips to provide students with opportunities for dialogical and experiential learning.
Students learn to look at their own society and other societies in new ways, to question assumptions, to understand the society from the research of others, to record observations from a neutral position and to analyze them objectively, and to interpret their findings, all within an ethical framework. Our goal is to help orient students and professionals in their future life, and teach them life skills that they can use to progress in their professional and personal lives.
MPhil program in Sociology is designed to introduce graduate students to concrete and theoretical knowledge and scholarly research in Sociology. The objective is to empower students with critical thinking, analytical, research, and writing skills. The program in Sociology builds on the training received at the baccalaureate level, and strengthens those skills further. We are committed to providing our students with both sound theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills. This program has a strong emphasis on research skills that will be beneficial for those pursuing careers in government, the private sector, civil society, or teaching. These skills are also critical for anyone desiring to pursue a PhD in Sociology or related fields.
- A 4-year BA / BS (Hons) Degree (completed with at least CGPA 2.50 and 130 credit hours) from an HEC recognized University or a conventional MA / MSc (completed with at least 60% marks) in Sociology, Social Work, Demography, Rural Sociology, Criminology, Social Sciences, Economics, Gender Studies, Anthropology, Psychology, Development Studies, Political Science, History, or any related discipline that provides a strong background in Sociology, or have a minor in Sociology
- Must include in the application a statement of purpose (300 – 500 words) describing the reason(s) why he / she is applying to the program
- Must write a short (approximately 500 words) exposition of an issue or problem in Sociology in which he / she is interested
- Students will undertake a departmental test and an interview on Sociological concepts
NOTE: Acceptance is based upon the 1) departmental test, 2) interview and 3) an overall evaluation of the candidate, including: academic achievement, statement of purpose, practical experience in the field of Sociology, English language proficiency, demonstrated social service, and representation of a particular culture, religion, or ethnicity in Pakistan.
Provisional admission can be sought by students awaiting final results. Their admission will only be confirmed once they have submitted their complete official Transcript within the due dates.
PhD (Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, University of the Punjab, PK)
MPhil (Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, University of the Punjab, PK)
BSc Honors (London School of Economics and Political Science, UK)
Room # 123, Business and Social Sciences Building
MPhil (Punjab University, Lahore)
MA Sociology (Punjab University, Lahore)
BA (Hons) in Sociology from Forman Christian College (A Chartered University)
MPhil in Sociology from Institute of Social and Cultural Studies (ISCS), University of the Punjab, Lahore
- The curriculum of the MPhil program in Sociology has been designed to build a strong base in theory and research. Students will be introduced to contemporary theories and research in the field of Sociology. The overall goal is to enable students to conceptually understand and critically analyze theories
- The program specifically focuses on developing research skills that students can leverage to pursue careers in the academia, the public sector or the private sector. These skills are also critical for candidates desiring to pursue a PhD in Sociology
- Students will be participating in departmental field research studies, which is important for integrating what is learned in coursework, as well as independent research for the thesis
- Students and faculty in our MPhil program will participate in seminars, workshops, and colloquium, making for a vibrant intellectual and professional community
- MPhil Sociology is offered as an evening program to facilitate motivated and qualified professionals desiring to pursue a postgraduate degree in Sociology
- The program offers a range of elective courses focusing on major sociology subfields. The aim is to allow students to explore particular areas within the discipline of Sociology that are of interest to them
- In addition to conducting all classes in English, students will receive additional personal help in writing and speaking in English
MPhil Sociology (Evening Program)
|Fall 2018||Spring 2019|
|Tuition Fee||Admission||Security||Total||Tuition Fee||Total||Total Fee Year Excluding tax|
- Merit Scholarship (75% tuition fee waiver) available
- Limited Teaching Assistantships (50% tuition fee waiver) available
- PEEF Scholarships available for eligible students