The connection between Forman Christian College (A Chartered University) and the teaching of English has a very long history. FCCU evolved from the Mission School which was established in 1849 as the first English-medium school in Lahore. In 1864 a College section was started, which was later renamed Forman Christian College after its founder. By 1901, FCC had started MA English classes. The English Department has benefitted from the teaching of great scholars such as Dr HC Velte, Dr FM Velte, Rev HD Griswold, Dr EJ Sinclair and Dr SL Sheets. The graduates of the English Department have distinguished themselves as writers, poets, civil servants, judges, lawyers, diplomats, politicians, and entrepreneurs.
The MPhil English is a two year evening program and is aimed both at students continuing their education as well as in-service practitioners who want to upgrade their qualification. As an evening program, many current teachers will be able to benefit from it. The program has a number of objectives. It will advance the level of English communication and fluency skills within Pakistan and develop well-groomed leadership for research and publication in English. It will improve philological and pedagogical practices in English in the country and enhance ethical values by ensuring original work in the field. It will emphasize the importance of English language and literature through both local and global interactions. MPhil English graduates will be equipped with analytical and critical research approaches to face the challenges of today’s world. The program will carry on FCCU’s rich legacy of research and quality teaching.
A 4-year BA (Hons) degree from an HEC recognized University in the discipline of English with a minimum of 2.5 CGPA and 130 credit hours
A Conventional MA in English with a minimum of 45% marks
NOTE: Acceptance is based upon the 1) departmental test, 2) interview and 3) an overall evaluation of the candidate, including: academic achievement and the statement of purpose.
Provisional admission can be sought by students awaiting final results. Their admission will only be confirmed once they have submitted their complete official Transcript within the due dates.
Associate Professor and Dean of Humanities
PhD (University of Leeds, UK) MA (University of Warwick, UK) BA (Hon) (University of Buckingham, UK)
PhD (Indiana University of Pennsylvania, USA) MPhil (Punjab University) PG Diploma TEIL (British Council, UGC and AIOU) MA (Punjab University)
Professor and Chairperson
Attended British Council Summer Schools at University of Leeds (1985) and University of Aberdeen (1991); Fulbright Scholar (1994); adaptive software technology course from the Adaptive Technology Center, University of New Orleans as an independent researcher. Research interests: American Literature, African-American Women’s Poetry.
MPhil Linguistics (UMT, Lahore) MA English Language and Literature (Peshawar University)
MPhil ELT, MA (Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore) MA (Punjab University, Lahore)
MA TESL (University of Mississippi, USA) MA (Forman Christian College, Lahore)
Masters in Applied Linguistics (Columbia University, New York)
BA (Hon) in English Literature (Hunter College, City University of New York)
MPhil TESL (Beaconhouse National University, Lahore); MA ELT (National University of Modern Languages); MA English Literature (Punjab University, Lahore); PGD ELT (AIOU, Islamabad); MBA (Preston University)
M Phil in Applied Linguistics (University of Management and Technology, Lahore) MA (Punjab University) Post graduate Diploma in English language teaching (Punjab University)
MPhil in English Literature (GCU, Lahore) MA in English (Forman Christian College, Lahore) MA in Journalism (University of the Punjab, Lahore) B.Ed ( AIOU, Islamabad)
- Research along with profound insight into modern and contemporary literary theory and criticism is the forte of FCCU’s MPhil English program
- The courses which we offer are unique and usually not offered in other institutions
- We conduct symposia, one day conferences, where students present their research papers and articles
- English Department publishes its own literary journal – JELLS
- Our students are encouraged to participate in interuniversity, national and international conferences
- FCCU can also proudly claim that it has hosted first Interdisciplinary Humanities Conference in October 2017
MPhil English (Evening Program)
|Fall 2018||Spring 2019|
|Tuition Fee||Admission||Security||Total||Tuition Fee||Total||Total Fee Year Excluding tax|
- Merit Scholarship (75% tuition fee waiver) available
- Limited Teaching Assistantships (50% tuition fee waiver) available
- PEEF Scholarships available for eligible students
|A||Admissions Begin||June 1, 2018|
|B||Last Date to Submit the Form||July 31, 2018|
|C||Admission Test||Date: August 06, 2018|
Time: 10:00 am to 1 pm
|D||Interview||Date: August 09, 2018|
Time: 10:00 am to 4 pm
|E||Merit List Displayed||August 16, 2018|
|F||Last Date for Fee Submission||August 31, 2018|
|G||Classes Begin||September 10, 2018|
How to Fill the Admission Form?
- Click on the Admission Inquiry Form under “Online Application Links”
- Fill in the Inquiry Form with your correct data
- Don’t forget to fill in the Program of interest
- In case you close the inquiry form without completing & submitting, you can use the Continuing Inquiry Form under “Online Application Links”
- If you have successfully submitted the inquiry form you will get an email. Check your inbox
- In your inbox, you will receive an email with your username and password which is your tracking code
- In the email received use the “Click Here” link to access the FC Empower portal
- Use the tracking code which is your username and password. Click on the Submit button
- Click on the admission application tab
- Click on the Access Form (Postgraduate or PhD) in which you are interested in applying
- Continue to fill in the form. Once finished, print and then click on ‘I have finished – Submit’
- Pay Rs. 2500 in HBL FCCU branch
- Attach all the required documents including the paid challan form to the Admission form and submit it in the Admission Office. All applicants must collect their Admit Slip from the Admission Office
In case of any query regarding admissions, kindly fill and submit the Admission Inquiry Form under “Online Application Links”. You would be assigned a Counselor and you would be able to see the Name and Email Address of your respective Counselor from your Empower Account. Send an Email regarding any admission related query to your respective Counselor.
You can also call the Admission Office at +92 (42) 9923 1581 upto 88. The extensions are 566, 377, and 317.
- An attested copy of the original Matriculation / O level result (web downloaded results are not acceptable)
- In case of O Level, a minimum of 8 subjects must have been passed
- An attested copy of the original Intermediate / A level / High School result (web downloaded results are not acceptable)
- In case of A Level, a minimum of 3 subjects must have been passed
- A and O Level and American High School Students have to submit a copy of their Equivalence Certificate (attested and stamped from IBCC)
- Attested copies of the final transcript of 4-year Honors / 2-year Conventional Bachelors and 2-year Conventional Masters degree
- FCCU students need to attach the attested copy of their official Baccalaureate transcript
- Students can submit their Transcript at least till the 7th semester at the time of form submission. If offered admission they must submit an attested copy of their complete official Transcript within 30 days of the beginning of the semester
- Students having a foreign Bachelors Degree must get their Equivalence from HEC
- Statement of purpose (300 – 500 words) describing the reason(s) why the student is applying to the program, long-term goals and the reason(s) for selecting Forman Christian College
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Two copies of the student’s CNIC and of the father / guardian
Attach all the required documents including the paid challan form to the Admission form and submit it in the Admission Office. All applicants must collect their Admit Slip from the Admission Office.
In case you are not located in Lahore then you can send us the Admission Form along with all the required documents through courier. You would need to make a pay order of Rs 2500 from any Branch of HBL in the name of Forman Christian College. Then send us the Courier at Admission Office, Ahmad Saeed Administration Building, Forman Christian College, Ferozepur Road, Lahore 54600 by July 31, 2018.