Dr Shabib Haider Syed
Chairperson & Professor
PhD (Quaid-I-Azam University, Islamabad)
Post Doc (Australia)
MA (Government College, Lahore)
Room # 207, Business and Social Sciences Building
Dr Shabib Haider Syed joined the Faculty of Business Management and Economics at FCCU in August 2005. It was the time when FCCU embarked upon an exciting new stage in its history in September 2005 when it begins a four year Bachelors (Honors) and MSc (Economics) programs designed in accordance with world class standards of accreditation. He cherished his leadership role in the growth of FCCU in general and Department of Economics in particular. The early years of DOE were marked by rapid growth of enrollment and constant search of faculty who can further carries the FCCU mission, core values and its motto By Love, Serve One Another. He holds PhD degree from the Quaid-I-Azam University and postdoc from Australia. His PhD dissertation titled Economic Analysis of Crime, Punishment and Deterrence: An Empirical Investigation for Pakistan is considered pioneer work in Economics of Crime in Pakistan. He also holds MA (Economics) from Government College (GCU), Lahore. He has done his Bachelor in Commerce from Hailey College of Commerce, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
He has over 25 years teaching and research experience in various national and international institutions; He has served as Adjunct faculty member at Bond University-Australia, Quaid-I-Azam University, International Islamic University, Muhammad Ali Jinnah University and Institute of Cost and Management Accountants, Islamabad. He has 15 years’ experience as department leader which includes eight years as HOD at FCCU. His teaching interests are varied over his academic life. He has taught extensive range of courses; quantitative courses like Econometrics, Statistics and Mathematics for economists and courses: Environmental Economics, Development Economics, Political Economy and History of Economic Thought. Similarly, business and management courses includes Managerial Economics, Business Environment, Financial Econometrics; He taught Business Conditions Analysis and Markets and Corporate Behavior at School of Business, Bond University, Australia.
He is member of Pakistan’s Society for Development Economists (PSDP), Islamabad; Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), Islamabad; South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE), Nepal and WWF-Pakistan. He has visited Australia, Thailand, Nepal, Bangladesh and Srilanka for various trainings and presentations.
He has supervised research (MPhil, PhD) in the areas of economic growth, finance, black economy, trade, energy, crime, terrorism, suicide, climate change, formal and informal institutions and environment. He likes to explore and research socio-economic issues and policy related problems in economics. He believes in evidence based policy research. He has worked on various projects as advisor/consultant of national interest like crime, growth and environment. He is editor of Forman Journal of Economic Studies (A HEC – Y category Journal). He is also referee and member various national and Internal peer-reviewed Journals.
Research interests: Applied Economics, Socio-economics, Behavioral Economics and Institutional Economics, & Environmental Issues.
- Luqman Saeed & Shabib Haider Syed (2018) Insights into Selected Features of Pakistan’s Most Wanted Terrorists, Terrorism and Political Violence, 30:1, 47-73, DOI: 10.1080/09546553.2016.1142442 To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09546553.2016.1142442
- Saeed, L. and S. H. Syed (2017), “Causal Linkages between Terrorism and Economic Growth; Evidence from the four Provinces of Pakistan” Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy. DOI: 10.1515/peps-2016-0037
- Rashid, J., Hussain, I. and Syed, Shabib H. (2016), “Poverty and the Quality of the Housing: Construction of Index Using FFDP Approach” Forman Journal of Economic Studies. Vol.12, 89-101.
- Shabib Haider Syed, Luqman Saeed & Roger P. Martin (2015) Causes and Incentives for Terrorism in Pakistan, Journal of Applied Security Research, 10:2, 181-206, DOI: 10.1080/19361610.2015.1004606 To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/19361610.2015.1004606
- Luqman Saeed, Shabib Haider Syed & Roger P. Martin (2014) Historical patterns of terrorism in Pakistan, Defense & Security Analysis, 30:3, 209-229, DOI: 10.1080/14751798.2014.921450 To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/14751798.2014.921450
- Khan, A. J., Azim, P. and S. H. Syed (2014), “The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade: A Panel Study on Pakistan Trade Partners”. The Lahore Journal of Economics. 19 (1), 31-66.
- Syed, Shabib H. and E. Ahmad (2013), “Poverty, Inequality, Political Instability and Property Crimes in Pakistan: A Time Series Analysis”, Asian Journal of Law and Economics. Vol. 4(1-2), 1-28. DOI 10.1515/ajle-2012-0003