Grading Policies and Graduation Requirements

Grading System
The standard grading system of the university is A (Superior Work), B (Good Work), C (Satisfactory Work), D (Poor Work) and F (Unacceptable Work). All courses in which a grade of C or higher has been earned shall count toward fulfilling degree requirements. A course in which a D grade is earned may fulfill degree requirements only when a grade of B or higher is earned in another full course.

The student’s Grade Point Average (GPA) is computed on the basis of awarding 4.0 quality points for a grade of A; 3.0 quality points for a grade of B; 2.0 quality points for a degree of C; 1.0 quality points for a grade of D; and 0 quality points for a grade of F. The student must earn a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.00 or better in order to graduate.

Grade Change Policy
If an instructor of a student determines that a grade was issued incorrectly because of a clerical or procedural error (a calculation error or one in transcribing the grade), it can be corrected by submitting a grade change form to the Academic office.

Grade Change Policy

If an instructor of a student determines that a grade was issued incorrectly because of a clerical or procedural error (a calculation error or one in transcribing the grade), it can be corrected by submitting a grade change form to the Academic office.

The procedure is as follows:

1. An original grade change form must be picked up from the Academic Office by only an Instructor of the course for which the change is being made.

    • Forms will not be given to the student requesting the grade change or department administrative staff.
    • Grade Change forms must not be stored in excess by instructors/departments.

2. The grade change form must be filled completely:

    • The reason for the change must be stated clearly.
    • The form must be signed and dated by the instructor.
    • If the instructor is no longer on faculty, the grade change form can be processed by the department Chairperson or Dean with approval from the Vice Rector.

3. All grade changes carry a time limit.

    • Incompletes can be changed within 8 weeks of the following semester.
    • Any other changes (due to typing errors and miscalculations) will continue to be accepted by the Academic Office up to 8 weeks of the following semester.
    • After this time grades cannot be changed except for Research.
    • Approval of the Vice Rector is required for submission of grade changes beyond the stated time.

4. The grade change form must be submitted in person by the Instructor within the stated time frame. Only original forms will be accepted for grade change. Photocopied grade change forms will not be approved.

Grade of ‘I’ (Incomplete)

1. A grade of “I” (Incomplete) indicates that, although a substantial proportion of the course requirements have been met, the student has not completed all course requirements by the end of the term.

2. In the judgment of the instructor the student:

    • Has been in good standing.
    • Is facing an emergency situation beyond his/her control.

3. A student must submit the work required within six weeks of the following semester. If the work is not completed the grade of incomplete is automatically changed to an F.

4. An Incomplete should never be given to a student who has performed poorly during the entire semester and wants extra time to improve the grade.

Retake & Withdrawal Policies

Retaking a Course
Students who have received a grade of D or F in a course are allowed to retake that course. The second grade will count and will be factored into the CGPA.

Course Withdrawal

  • Students are allowed to withdraw from a course until the end of the ninth week of the semester. Students who withdraw from a course by the withdrawal deadline will receive a grade of WP or WF by the instructor.
  • If a student does not officially drop a course or withdraws from a course after the deadline, he/she will receive a grade of F.
  • In extreme circumstances beyond the student’s control, such as illness, accident or death of a parent, permission will be granted to withdraw after the withdrawal deadline. The student may request an emergency withdrawal by submitting a petition (and attaching appropriate documentation) to the Assistant Vice Rector.


Temporary Withdrawal (Discontinuing for one semester or year)

  • A Temporary Withdrawal means the student has decided to discontinue one semester or one year of studies. Depending on the date of withdrawal, the student may be entitled to a refund.
  • Students who need to withdraw should initiate the process by meeting first with their mentor and then with the Dean of Students, completing the withdrawal form and providing appropriate documentation to support their request to withdraw.
  • Students who are recipients of financial aid must consult the Office of Financial Aid to confirm if their withdrawal will have any impact on their financial aid eligibility.
  • The Dean of Students will forward the withdrawal form along with documents to the Assistant Vice Rector as soon as the decision to withdraw has been made.


One Course in Lieu of Another
If during the course of a student’s four year program, the department decides to change core course offerings by:

  1. Withdrawing a core course that was required in a catalog
  2. Offering one course in lieu of another

The department must:

  1. Inform the Vice Rector officially and copy the Academic Office on such a change being made and its applicability to all students.
  2. Get the approval of the Vice Rector prior to making an exception for one student.


University Withdrawal
A University Withdrawal is defined as leaving the university permanently. If a student decides to leave the university the procedure to be followed is given below:

  1. The student must go to the Academic Office for an official university Student Clearance Form.
  2. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain clearance from the Library, Computer Lab, Chief Proctor, Accounts Office and Science Laboratories.
  3. The university ID card must be returned to the Chief Proctor.
  4. The student’s letter of discontinuation along with the clearance form must be submitted to the Academic office for the Assistant Vice Rector’s approval.
  5. On receiving the approval, the Academic Office will issue a Letter of Release.
  6. The student must submit a copy of the Letter of Release to the Accounts office in order to collect his/her library security deposit.
  7. If a student quits and fails to inform the university about the decision to discontinue at the university, he/she will receive failing grades for all courses. If the student does not cancel his/her registration prior to the drop deadline, he/she will be held financially responsible for applicable tuition fees.

Readmission to the University
Students who have not been enrolled for three consecutive semesters will be dropped from the university. They must seek readmission to the University to resume their studies by submitting a Request of Readmission to the Vice Rector for final approval. It is the student’s responsibility to submit a copy of the readmission approval to

  1. the Accounts Office (for Readmission fee and tuition) and
  2. the Academic Office (for Registration).

Once readmitted the student will apply for student ID card at the Chief Proctor’s office.

Academic Credit
Credit towards a degree is awarded for satisfactory course completion, independent study or academic work certified by another accredited degree granting institution.

A credit hour identifies a contact hour which a student has to attend in class work, or two contact hours a student has to attend in the laboratory, studio or field work each week in a regular semester. Thus, a three credit course will meet for three hours per week, or two hours of lecture and two hours of laboratory per week.

Ordinarily credit is earned by course completion. A normal full-time academic load is five courses (15 credit hours) per semester. A student may take a minimum of 12 semester credit hours or a maximum of 18 semester credit hours and still be considered a full time student. If a student enrolls in fewer than 12 credit hours, he/she is considered to be a part-time student. Enrollment of more than 18 hours is very rare and requires the approval of the Advisor and the payment of additional tuition fee.

Credit may be earned through independent study by advanced students who exhibit both the self-discipline and mastery of the methods demanded by the subject matter selected by the student. An independent study project is designed by a student in consultation with the professor who is to supervise and evaluate the work. An academic contract, made in advance, specifies the subject and method of inquiry, the texts, the purpose of the project, and the basis of evaluation and credit. Each contract must be approved by the Vice Rector. Independent study forms are available from the Office of the Assistant Vice Rector.

Credit is earned by migration or transfer from another degree-granting institution recognized by the Higher Education Commission or accredited in the USA or UK, up to a limit of 64 credit hours. A student transferring to FCC from another institution should request a transcript of work done in the other institution be sent to the Assistant Vice Rector. When the transcript has been evaluated, the applicant is notified of the credit acceptance by migration/transfer committee.

FCC recognizes that many experiences outside the classroom may contribute to a student’s program. Internships, participation in community projects, and field experience may be accorded credit if closely coordinated with the student’s academic program. Such experience ordinarily constitutes a part of a regular course or independent study project.

Transfer Credit 
Course Credit that is Acceptable
1. An official request for transfer of credits takes place through:

    • The Vice Rector’s Office prior to a new admission
    • The Academic office for students going on student exchange programs during their course of study at Forman Christian College

2. An official transcript is required for all transfer work.
3. The student must have a letter of good academic standing from the University he/she is leaving.
4. The transfer courses must come from an accredited institution.
5. The courses must be appropriate for Forman Christian College’s Degree Requirements.
6. The grade for each course must be a C or better to be accepted by Forman Christian College.
7. The Chairperson of an individual department determines how transfer credits count toward the fulfillment of Forman Christian College’s Major Degree requirements.
8. Transfer of General Education requirements is determined by the Academic Office.

Course Credit that is Unacceptable

  1. Transfer credit request based on unofficial or photocopied transcripts
  2. Courses studied at Non-accredited institutions