Academic Due Process and Grievance Procedures

A student may formally appeal a grade only if the student has failed to complete the course satisfactorily (earned a grade of “D” or “F”) or if the student can provide evidence of unfairness or discrimination. Grades may be formally grieved until thirty (30) days into the following full semester. A student who has an academic grievance must initiate and follow the procedures outlined below. Failure to follow the procedure shown below will result in ineligibility for Academic Grievance Board review.

  1. The student must first speak to the faculty member who issued the disputed grade.
  2. If the matter cannot be resolved satisfactorily in Step 1, the student may request a meeting with the Academic Department Chairperson within three (3) working days of the initial meeting. The Department Chair will convene a meeting with the student, the faculty member, and the Department Chair within five (5) working days of the request. The role of the Department Chairperson is to act as mediator between the student and the faculty member. The faculty member will be asked to provide documentation of how the grade was determined (i.e. final exam papers, attendance records, grade book).
  3. If the matter is not resolved satisfactorily with the Department Chairperson, the student may appeal to the Vice Rector. A student wishing to pursue such a grievance should submit a written application to the Office of the Vice Rector. Only students submitting a signed application will be granted an appeal hearing.