The computer laboratories at Forman Christian College have been developed to help students with their coursework and to provide Internet access to faculty and students on campus. The following standards and policies have been adopted to assure the use of the laboratories for all. These policies apply to all laboratories on campus; please refer to posted special instructions or policies in each individual lab.
The computer laboratories at Forman Christian College are for the exclusive use of students, faculty and administrative staff at FCC. Laboratory managers, faculty and FCC staff may request proof of College affiliation from anyone using the laboratories at any time.
Hours of operation and staffing
- The computer laboratories are open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. During Ramzan, the labs are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and then reopen 45 minutes after Iftari until 9:00 p.m.
- Classes are scheduled in the computer labs at various times throughout the day, and special lectures, seminars and workshops may be scheduled from time to time. Scheduled activities will always take precedence over general use. The schedule for each lab will be posted at the door. Students should consult the schedules and plan their use of the labs accordingly.
- The Computer Laboratory Manager is responsible for the enforcement of these policies and for supervising any laboratory attendants working in the laboratories.
General policies for use of computer laboratories, applicable to all users
- No food, drink, chewing gum, or smoking is allowed in the laboratories.
- Absolutely no copyrighted software may be copied or taken from the room.
- Anyone using the computer laboratories must set their mobile phone settings to “vibrate” and may not use their mobile phones while in the computer laboratories.
- Anyone using the computer laboratories may not use the facilities for instant messaging or chatting online.
- Absolutely no outside software may be copied onto the hard disk of any computer in the laboratories.
- Equipment is offered on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Please do not attempt to reserve or save a computer by leaving belongings, books or papers at a computer workstation. During periods of heavy demand for the computer laboratories, any one individual is limited to using the computer laboratory for two hours at any one time.
- Absolutely no pornographic material may be viewed, downloaded or printed using FCC computer laboratory equipment or facilities.
- Saving documents on college computers: Students, faculty and staff will email any documents developed on computer laboratory computers to themselves for storage on their personal computers. Should an individual want to use a removable storage device, he/she will need to consult with the laboratory manager to do a virus scan and save any document to any removable device. The FCC Computer Science Department and IT Support Services hold no responsibility for personal files saved on the hard disks. The hard disks are cleaned off periodically.
- Responsibility for damages: Should there be damage to any piece of hardware or furniture in the computer labs, the person responsible for the damage will reimburse the college for the replacement cost of securing a new piece of equipment or furniture.
10. Children of faculty or staff age 12 or older are only allowed in the laboratories when accompanied by their parent(s). Children under the age of 12 are not allowed in the laboratories.
11. All students desiring to use the labs must display their ID cards appropriately. Intermediate students must be in uniform and baccalaureate students must be in dress code.
- Once assigned a login ID and password, students are responsible for maintaining the security of that login and password. Students may not share their usernames or passwords to log another person into a laboratory computer, even if that person is a trusted friend or family member. Any damage to college computers traced to a specific login will be the responsibility of the person to whom that login is assigned.
- Students are not allowed to take their book bags to the computer laboratory workstations. The laboratory manager will indicate a space where students can store their book bags while working in the computer laboratories.
- Student violations of these policies will be handled in the following manner:
i. First violation: Privileges will be suspended for two days and the student will be required to pay a fine of Rs. 500 to reinstate privileges.
ii. Second violation: Privileges will be suspended for a period to be determined by the Chair of the Department of Computer Science based on the seriousness of the offence and the potential harm caused to college computer resources.