Students can apply for either the morning program or the evening program. The contents of both programs is identical. The department will admit students in the MPhil Applied Economics morning program each year in Fall semester (July & August admission time) and in MPhil Applied Economics evening program each year in Spring semester (November & December admission time).
In line with market needs, Department of Economics is offering MPhil Applied Economics. This programs is designed to develop economic reasoning and analytical skills among students through the provision of advanced knowledge in the field of economics. As a graduate of MPhil Applied Economics, you will have
- advanced understanding about microeconomics, macroeconomics and applied econometrics
- refined quantitative and applied research skills to analyze real world economic problems
- the abilities to pursue doctoral program.
- job opportunities in academic institutions, development agencies, financial and banking sector, Government departments, industries, NGOs, research organizations, etc.
MPhil Applied Economics is a two year program following the completion of 16 years of education i.e. BS (Hons) or conventional MA/MSc Economics. This program consists of two semesters (27 credit hours) of coursework and a research thesis (12 credit hours). After the completion of coursework in two semesters, students will focus their efforts on the MPhil thesis under the supervision of a supervisor. With an MPhil in Applied Economics, you will have exposure about those courses and skills which are especially helpful to pursue doctoral program or teaching/research professions.
Merit scholarships and limited Teaching Assistantships are available
FCC is on the Punjab Educational Endowment Fund (PEEF) Scholarship panel for postgraduate programs
Admissions Timeline for MPhil Applied Economics (Morning Program) - Fall 2015 intake
|1.||Admissions open||June 2015|
|2.||Application deadline||17 August 2015|
(please click here to find sample test papers)
|19 August, 2015
Time: 10:00 am
(Please bring original documents)
|20 & 21 August 2015
Time: 10:00 am
|5.||First merit list displayed||21 August, 2015 (evening)|
|6.||Orientation||27 August 2015 at 10:00 am in E 201|
|7.||Class begin||31 August 2015|
- submit an application and two reference letters (at least one must be from a previous teacher)
- have at least 16 years of education (BSc Hons) with 48 credit hours in Economics and a minimum CGPA of 2.5
a conventional MA/MSc in Economics with at least 60% marks
- pass the FCC Aptitude Test in Economics (FATE)
- FATE score
- interview score
- past academic achievements
Merit of students will be determined on the basis of weighted aggregation of FATE score (30%), interview score (20%) and past academic achievement (50%).
- Students who are waiting for results can apply provisionally but must submit a complete official transcript at the time of interview.
- CGPA in the last degree will be counted towards past academic achievements.
- Candidates who fail in the FATE are not eligible to appear in the interview.
1. Fill in the online form; do not miss out any information – find links to online forms below the instructions
2. Print the form and attach the documents mentioned below.
3. Click the Submit button when the application is complete
4. Please note down your computer generated Admission Tracking Number
- Matriculation/ O level result
- Intermediate/ A level result
- Final transcripts of 4 years honors/ Masters degree
- 2 recent passport sized photographs
- Two copies of the CNIC of Applicant and of the Father/Guardian
- Application and two reference letters (at least one must be from a previous teacher)
- Processing fee of Rs 2,000 must only be deposited in the HBL Branch, FC College
- You must write your name and admission tracking number on the Challan form, otherwise payment will not be processed
5. Submit the form in the Admissions Office Ahmad Saeed Administration Building
Please attach the following with the printed application form:
- Research experience if any (please mention the organization, designation and nature of experience)
- List of publications
- Professional/employment record if any
- Please write in not more than 150 word why you are interested in doing MPhil Economics
All of the above should be on separate sheets of paper.
If you are off the FCC campus: Admission application link 1 or Admission application link 2
If you are on the FCC campus: Admission Application Link for continuing applications
For more information: